Chapter 20

"Come on! bright and early people!" My eyes bolted open and I flung out from under the sleeping bag.
"What the hell" I mumbled while rubbing my eyes and slouching my back.

The voice screaming to through the camp was unfamiliar. Very unfamiliar.
I peaked my head through the opening of my tent to see who the visitor was.
A old man folded his hands behind his back and his facial expression demanded respect. Much like the Prince I was with last night.

I smirked and stood to get dressed.
After our deep discussion, I ended up heading back to my tent and Zuko walked around for a bit.
He sat at the campfire spot for a while and played with flames.
No I did not stalk!

I simply overheard. To be fair, it was kind of hard not to listen, the full moon is out and I am at my peek of power and energy. I was suddenly prone to detail, and although Zuko was quiet, I was too.

But today was very different, Prince Zuko didn't wake us up, I fact I didn't see him at all when I took a step out of my tent.

The older man snapped in my direction shot a glare of a thousand daggers. I cringed and ran up to join the huge crowd of silent figures.

"Your Commanding officer has..." He paused as if looking for the correct wording. "Taken the day off. He has an important visitor to attend to."  Some of the men chuckled and I suddenly remembered Zuko talking about his old girlfriend coming to visit. My face started vibrating with heat.
For reasons I couldn't explain, nor would I want to.
"So I took command for the day." He huffed and walked the line of men in front of him. "So let's get started."

At this moment I realized I was so unaware for the major soreness that would come the next day.

---
"24...25!..." The man counted as each person did push-ups. My muscles were burning and my heart was racing, the sweat was dripping down my scrunched face and I felt like I was going to pass out.

But a voice in my head screamed for me to keep going. So I did as so. I growled into my sprawled hair and bolted my eyes closed. I pushed until the man finally stopped.
I fell on the ground and laid on my back.
I ended up being one of the 10 people left. And I smiled at the embarrassment of the others.
"You think you came here to relax!" He instructor hovered over my damp face.
"No sir." I said softly. I looked around to see everybody already up.
"Sure damn looks like it! Get your ass off the ground!" He yelled. I stumbled over my self and raised to stand.

"Do you see any of these men taking a break!" He pointed at the crowd.
"No sir, but-" I started.

"But what!" He inched closer to my face. I cringed back and placed a foot behind to catch myself from falling. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to relax my mind, only for it to fill with rage.

"I did more than most of the men here! So what I'm a women! But I'm also a human being. So treat me like one! I work just as hard as the rest of you!" I turned around to talk to the whole crowd. The backed up slightly. "And, I don't get a lick of respect. I defend your nation and you treat this like a game! Guess what! I'm done playing! Tell me when your ready to respect me and your nation." I strained my back and pointed to all the men.
Even the new commander was shocked.

"I'm going to go sit down. Ill be back in a few minutes." I grumbled and stalked off, my hands balled into fists.

I felt quite proud of myself.

_______________

Sorry it's been a while!! I've been focusing on reading more fanfics than writing... But I'm trying to get back into the swing of things!
Speaking of which, I've been working on a new story!
I promise I will still work on this one too, but I'm just letting you know there is another one coming:)