Chapter 3

That night I started cooking dinner for the boys to eat. "So Katara, Sokka thinks he found a good job at a repair shop." Hakoda leaned on the wooden counter, trying to have a reasonable conversation I presume. We don't get a lot of good conversation, I'm always gone at the training base and the tea shop, and Sokka is always looking for a job, and my dad has become a blacksmith for the FireNation's weapons industry.

I shrugged and continued stirring the stew. "Good for him." I was honestly tired, and didn't feel in the mood to talk.
My dad stood up taller and a worried look spread across his face.
"What's wrong sweetheart?" He walked over to the big pot of stew. It was a original WaterTribe meal, and it was very hard to find the ingredients in the FireNation.

"Nothing, I'm just a little tired." My dad was about to speak but I interrupted. "Call Sokka for dinner."
My father sighed and called for Sokka.

The grumpy teen walked into the room with his shoes in hand. "Hey Tara." I smiled at my older brother and prepared him a bowl.

"Where do you think your going young man?" Hakoda put his arms in his hips.

"Well, I need to go to work, I don't know if you noticed but we are not in very good shape when it comes to equity." Dad rolled his eyes and nodded.

Sokka smiled at the bowl and started slurping up the warm soup. "So." He said, his mouth full. "How was work?" I prepared a bowl for my self and sat down.

"Well it was-" I started.
"Wow Tara! This soup is amazing, what did you do different?" I scowled at first, but that quickly turned into a small laugh.

"I added mint and octopus-manatee meat. I thought it would make it more tangy. I'm glad you like it Sokka." I smiled. It was always good to have a compliment on something you worked hard on.

"Well, I got to head out. I'll be back in the morning." He said lifting a woven basket. I raised an eyebrow.

"Night shift?" I asked. Sokka paused then nodded.

"Yep, it's okay Katara I'll wipe my feet before I come back in the house." He rolled his eyes. I smiled again.

After Sokka slammed the door behind him, I gathered the bowls up and set them I the sink. I thought long and hard about how I could get my time shorter. All the guys had longer legs and were taller. I was short. But I tried very hard. I believed I could help people, that is my main purpose. Isn't it?
A small voice told me I was wrong.
For a minute, I listened to it.
You just want to get away from your family.

But don't we all?