British Guys Aren't Cute - Chapter Thirty-Six

I didn't know he was dead; I thought he was British,’

Author Unknown

Chapter Thirty-Six

Nora fell to her knees, tears running hysterically down her face as she realised what she had done. Questioned pounded in her head as she watched Dan’s body lying on the ground, a puddle of blood growing around the body. She had shot him, she hadn’t know what else to do. She had almost driven past them, but then she saw somebody pointing a gun at another person in the field; she hadn’t know it was Milo until she had gotten closer, and by then it was too late. 

‘Shoot now; ask questions later,’ that was the phrase going through her mind. Out of everything she could be thinking, she was thinking of that. Her gaze looked up from the body on the ground; cold, empty, blue eyes looking up at her. She looked at Milo, who was stood in the same place as before, his gaze flickering between his brother and the woman he loved. 

“Sorry,” Nora croaked, breaking down into more tears “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to kill him - I saw him with the gun, I heard him, I didn’t mean to kill him,” she repeated over and over, breaking down even more. She watched Milo as he rubbed his hands on his face, trying to come to terms with what had just happened. “I’m sorry,” she repeated again, sinking into the ground, trying to push the images of Dan’s lifeless blue eyes out of her mind. Couldn’t she have shot him somewhere else? Why did she shoot for the head? Why did she kill him? 

Milo stared down at his brother’s body, his mind trying to piece everything together. Dan was going to shoot him. Nora had shot Dan. Nora was on the ground. His brother was dead. The words ringed around his mind as he tried to get over the shock of everything. Tears began to pour down his face as he looked over to Nora as she apologized over and over again, telling him that she hadn’t meant to kill him, how it was all a mistake. Milo suddenly jumped into action, his brain suddenly re-starting as he ran over to Nora, falling to where she was lying on the floor before capturing her up in his arms.

“It’s okay, it’s okay! Don’t cry,” Milo cried, holding Nora tightly in his arms, trying to squeeze all of the sadness out of her. “I know it wasn’t your fault, I love you,” he added. Nora’s heart broke as he told her that he still loved her, how could he still love her? She had killed his brother! She was the reason he was lying on the floor in a pool of his blood. She tried to speak but her words just came out in sobs, not making any sense. He just pulled her closer to his body as she cried more, trying to think about what to do next. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, dialing the emergency services number before pressing the call button as Nora sobs turned quieter. 

Nora sat on the cold metal chair, not moving, not wanting to feel a thing. She sat on her hands, staring down at the floor, going over the whole thing in her head, just like she had been for the past four days since she had shot Dan in the head. 

It had been an accident.

She had saved Milo - the crown prince.

She had killed Dan. His blood was on her hands. 

Everything seemed numb to her. She had no more tears to cry, she just couldn’t feel anything anymore, she didn’t want to. She blocked out the busy atmosphere of the police station that was happening around her. Milo had called the police, reported the murder - her murder. They had come to the scene, Milo’s hand not once leaving hers. They had taken pity on her, told her that the understood her situation - that she was the victim, not the criminal. But Nora knew that wasn’t true. She had killed somebody - taken somebody’s life away from them. She couldn’t handle that guilt - no matter the situation.