British Guys Aren't Cute - Chapter Twenty-Eight

‘The British do not expect happiness. I had the impression, all the time that I lived there, that they do not want to be happy; they want to be right,’

Quentin Crisp

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Post 282:

A second reason the creator of DateBritishGuys.com gave for woman wanting to date the brits was ‘British Men Have Been Raised With Royalty, And Treat Women Like Princesses'. Really? Has the creator of this silly website ever met a Brit? Obviously not... American's know more about the royals than the Brits do! 

At this point in time, Nora was trying to think of anything. Anything other than Milo.

The old woman passing on the street, the dog trailing behind her, did Milo like dogs? The red car passing on the street with the funny registration plate, would Milo see it? Would he find it funny?

She turned away from the window she had been starting out of, and instead of watching the passing world, she shut her eyes, squeezing them tight before just trying to imagine herself in a white room, alone with no thoughts. But then Milo popped in, invading her mind.

He was everywhere, with every thought. Nora couldn’t escape the thought of him, even for a second. 

They had broken up, and even though she was the one who broke the whole thing up (for god knows what reason), she couldn’t get him off her mind. She didn’t want to break up, but she knew that it was the best thing to do. They were both going to end up heartbroken at one point, why not just cut to the chase? 

Nora was in the car to the airport, every minute growing closer to the airport where she would leave London to go home. All Nora wanted to go  was tell Skye to drive home so she could crawl into her bed and weep. That or get absolutely hammered before calling Milo and begging for him to take her back.

She turned to Skye who was focusing hard on driving. Skye was stopping herself from trying to slap her best friend across the head in hope that it would stimulate some brain cell growth so she would realize just how stupid she was being breaking up with Milo. Skye’s knuckles were almost white due to how hard she was gripping the steering wheel, finding it hard to keep her feelings about the break-up to herself. She had heard the whole thing, she had heard the heart-break in Milo’s voice, and in Nora’s crying after he had left. 

Skye knew why Nora had done it, why she had pushed him away. Skye had witnessed Nora’s mother in full fling. The woman had practically lived with a broken heart her whole life, a heart she had broken herself because she had believed that leaving Nora’s father would be the best thing. Nora, of course, didn’t realize the similarities between her and her mother - they had both broken their own hearts, scared to get to close to the man they loved. 

Nora could read anybody like a book. Everyone except her mother.

“So... who’s picking you up for the airport?” Skye questioned, breaking the silence which had filled the car. 

“My sister said that she would drive me over, but the chances of her actually turning up are pretty slim. I have a taxi rank’s number on speed dial; just incase,” Nora replied, the entire time thinking about what Milo would of said if he was taking her to the airport, if he was going to Ireland with her. He would of loved to see her child hood house, to meet her mother and her sisters - before they opened their mouths and spoke that is.