THE ENTIRE GORILLAZ STORYLINE -- PHASE 1: CELEBRITY TAKE DOWN

howboutsomepie

ASKED ME TO EXPLAIN THE GORILLAZ STORYLINE SO HERE WE GO - THERES ALLOT TO TALK ABOUT SO SIT DOWN, BUCKLE UP, AND PUT ON YOUR READING GLASSES. ALSO I PRAY THESE PICTURES LOAD OR ELSE ALL WILL FAIL.

ALSO IM GETTING ALL MY INFORMATION FROM 1) WHAT I ALREADY KNOW AND 2) THE ASK THAT YOU CAN FIND ON VIRIA'S TUMBLR BECAUSE SHE EXPLAINED IT REALLY WELL AND THATS HOW I LEARNED MOST OF WHAT I KNOW.

Okay let's get started. 

Also, literally don't let the seemingly rough and tough pictures of the band turn you away, their all smol er beans than they appear (except freaking Murdoc).

So Gorillaz is a virtual band created in 1997 by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. Damon provides the singing voice for 2D, while Jamie draws all the characters and art. The band is made up of 2D, the singer and keyboard player; Murdoc Niccals on bass, Russel Hobbs on drums, and Noodle playing lead guitar.

The virtual band has taken on a life of its own and has practically become sentient characters on their own. They consider Damon and the people who play the concerts to simply be the 'Live Band.' The virtual members are self-aware and, to many fans, are just as real as Damon and Jamie. That part is really up to you, the listener, but I prefer to refer to the virtual members as though they were real people because it's just more fun that way to me.

HERE'S A PICTURE OF DAMON (we kknow how I feel about Damon HNNG) AND JAMIE, with Murdoc in the center:

Don't let the cartoons fool you: Gorillaz is in no way targeted towards children. They are also not a specific genre -- you can find literally every single genre in their songs. Except maybe, idk, opera or something (right?).

So, Olivia, to answer one of your questions immediately,  the 'phases' are basically markers that categorize each album release. This is why some aspects of each character's appearance changes. It's easier to divide the plot line with each phase - like a book series basically. There are currently four phases, therefore four 'books' persay. That's just an analogy btw. 

PHASE 1: CELEBRITY TAKE DOWN

So Phase 1 begins with this guy, Murdoc Niccals, your local Satanist who literally 1) can't keep it in his pants and 2) pretty much breathes trouble... and alcohol.