Chapter 23- Bainbridge Island part 1 (edited chapter)

Liam Lock’s POV

I knew the moment I stepped out of Olivia’s house that I was leaving Kyla behind forever. I could feel her heartbreak so intensely that it made me almost rethink my choice to leave. Even though I knew why she was hurting, I also knew I could not change anything; I could not stay, not if I wanted to keep her safe and out of harms way.

She would be better off this way; she might not see it now, but one day I would hope that she would finally understand the reasons behind my actions and forgive me. Forgive me for putting her through so much pain in the beginning. Forgive me for not showing my true feelings to her sooner, and most importantly forgive me for leaving her alone to take someone else’s hand in marriage.

As soon as I was fully outside of the house, I turned towards Gavin and Ian who had been guarding the front entrance for me while I said my peace to Kyla, “I’m counting on all of you to watch out for her. You make sure nothing bad happens to her, you understand me?” I rushed out with finality.

Gavin and Ian both gave a quick nod, “Don’t worry man, we won’t let anything happen to her, we know how much she means to you,” Gavin reassured me before glancing over my shoulder at the sleek black car that was waiting for me in the driveway.

Before stepping off the porch, I gave one last longing look at the door that concealed the girl of my undying love and affection. How I wished I could have had more time to show her who I truly am; to show her that I’m not some cold, emotionless creature. But that would never happen now; my destiny has already been mapped out for me, and as for Kyla, even though I wanted so badly for her to be a part of that, she was not anywhere in my future.

I saw her hand appear on the door then, and I knew I could not stay much longer, I could not let her see me still here it would only make things harder. Right as, she was about to pull the door open, I disappeared off the porch and into the car that held my two parents.

After getting inside, I stared out the side of my window and watched as Kyla walked onto the porch. She was staring right at the car and even though she could not see me through its tented windows; I felt as if she knew I was staring back at her.

“No greeting for your parents, my son?” my fathers voice rang out through the silence of the car.

“Mother. Father,” I greeted curtly. I had no desire to speak to them; I haven’t in years, and I wasn’t going to start now. 

The situation currently is exactly the reason I'm estranged from my parents in the first place. I knew this day would come eventually, and I was never in agreement. 

My father nor mother spoke anymore after our short greeting; instead my father ordered the driver to drive off and so he did. 

As the car started to move further and further away, the empty space in my world that Kyla had unknowingly filled began to crack open leaving it more vacant than before. I kept my eyes on the porch of Olivia’s house, staring at the dark haired girl and watched as the tears overtook the soft olive skin of her face.

She looked so hurt and sad, watching her shed tears for me had me wishing I could make it all better for her. I could not take the hurt that was so evident in her eyes, I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. I wanted to remember everything about her, every feature, every beautiful flaw, and as we pulled onto the road and out of sight I made sure to place her into my memory.

Never to forget the face of my true mate and true love.