Chapter TWENTY-ONE

Micah's POV*

Axel's death hit me hard... He was my Beta, my right-hand man.

My best friend.

Tears filled my eyes, only one escaping and I felt a gentle kiss, loving it away.

I couldn't help but smile at my mate, loving the adoration shining in his eyes. Love radiating off of him and seeping into me.

The tears were still present, but I knew that it was all okay, that it would all be okay. Eventually.

Axel was gone and he'd be missed immensely, he meant so much to so many people. I would have trusted him with anything. With everything. I wish I had known... I wish I had done something for him. The anger in my stomach wouldn't subside. I was his best friend. I should have known.

I should have done something.

But there was a small voice inside me that reminded me; the world doesn't stop for you. I made a mental resolve to add more mental health services around the pack, support groups and all. This feeling in the pit of my stomach, this loss, can never happen again.

***

Today was going to be rather uneventful, as all I had to do was my usual Alpha duties, which only took a few hours.

Deciding to get to know Nessa, as Blake called her, and Flin, was the only thing that seemed interesting, as my adorable mate was spending time with Am and her mother, Lily.

I knocked on the door to their small house, over the few weeks they had been here, they insisted they build their own little house on the property, and I had no problem with it, as they had become members of my pack shortly before that.

Their house, I noted with interest, was relatively small. Blending into the atmosphere to where it was almost hard to see. It blended in so perfectly with its surroundings that it was practically invisible.

Needless to say, I was both surprised and impressed that they had built it in so little time and made it look so astounding.

Axel helped me when it came to building the small little houses scattered around my territory... The idea of having to find someone to fill in as Beta made me sick. I didn't want to replace Axel.

I was torn from my thoughts when Flin opened the door to the small house, a warm smile on his face.

"Hey, man, what's up?" He asked, holding his fist out for me to bump. I rose my eyebrow at him, finding his action humorous.

"You know, "man" usually I get spoken to with more respect than that." I crossed my arms at him, a playful smirk at my lips.

I was amazed at how mature he could be, yet how childish his personality remained.

He simply smiled back at me, a certain glint in his eyes. Sighing to myself dramatically, I bumped his fist, and he welcomed me in.

"How's the baby?" I asked, looking around the home, a feeling of warmth spreading through me at the content nature of the place.

"Loud as ever, ya know. I was expecting a girl, actually. I'm so grateful either way, I've always wanted a child... and Nes wasn't even supposed to be able to birth because of..." He faltered, something I definitely noticed, before he continued, "because of past complications. Our little boy is a miracle and a blessing." He ended with a small smile, though I didn't miss the slight tense in his shoulders and the tightness to the smile.

I could tell it was a touchy subject, so I smiled and brushed it off with,

"It's wonderful that you've got a child. Obviously, you know I can't quite have biological children of my own." He laughed with me at the small joke I had attempted, it was so weird to talk this way to someone that wasn't Lily, Blake or Axel as they were the only ones I've ever been close with.

Even a few moments ago, he spoke to me so casually. As if he had known me all my life, and we were dear friends.

"So, what brings you?" He asked, breaking the silence.

I shrugged, not actually having an answer and pleased to see that instead of leaving the room in awkward silence he laughed and made his way to the kitchen.

"Fair enough, we can watch a movie or something, I'll cook popcorn." He smiled and I smiled back, actually enjoying the company he provided and the friendliness he emitted.

I nodded at him and sat on the bar stool near the counter he was at, noting how I could hear every move he made with no interruptions. Where was his family?

"Where's your mate and the little one?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

He hummed before telling me that they had gone with Blake.

***

Later that day, after I had gone home from the enjoyable company of Flin, almost not wanting to leave, I found my mate dancing in our room, blaring music.

He hasn't noticed me yet and I found it extremely adorable, watching his small body move awkwardly to the music. Unlike other dancers I've seen, he was clumsy, his movements not thought out and just done.

It was breathtaking to watch.

At an upbeat part of the song, he started laughing and moving his hips, enchanting me completely.

He was so gorgeous in everything he did.

When the next song came on, he squealed in enthusiastic joy, unintentionally making me save the song to a mental note in my head, knowing he found it more enjoyable to listen to, clearly a favorite of his.

He started dancing even wilder and I couldn't control the laugh bubbling in my chest, threaten to escape and ruin the perfect moment.

I could no longer contain it when he did a spin and still hadn't notice me, and when my laughter barked into the otherwise silent room, he yipped in surprised and fell down on his butt, causing me to laugh harder, my stomach aching beautifully.

He blushed bright, a stunning pout forming his lips as he rubbed away the pain in his rear.

Standing and watching my mate pout at me adorably, I smiled, love and adoration for the man in front of me flowing through me and I was slapped with the realization that I wanted to spend my entire life with the crazy, goofy, lovable man hiding his face in my pillow on the other side of the room.

My laughter faded after a while, the smile never leaving my face as I admitted to myself that I wanted to marry the wonderful man I had completely fallen for.

I was going to marry Blake and forever change his last name.

***

GAH! A good chapter with no death!!! Are you proud?

God, i'm so in love with my characters, you have no idea.

Click the star and show everyone how much you shine!

~Ms.Witch

Revised- October 9th, 2023