Chapter EIGHTEEN

Blake's POV*

After she spoke, she reached down into a purse at her waist, pulling out a small knife. I sucked a breath in and took a small step back.

She laughed lightly,

"For the rope?" She offered another small smile, her gaze fixated on my features.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, squeezing my eyes shut and turning my back to her, offering my hands. I had to stifle the thoughts racing in my head, it felt as if I was offering her my life by leaving myself so exposed.

But what choice did I have? I was totally lost, injured and starving on top of that. I would just have to take this chance. I held my breath.

I flinched when her hands made contact with mine, and she hummed calmly in response. I could feel the knife slicing into the rope, and I could feel my body heave in relief. She really was just cutting the rope.

The sensation of her skin making contact with mine was gentle, and comforting. She felt safe. A strange sense of trust settled on my chest, and the relief I felt was unmatched.

Gulping, I decided to swallow my concerns as I turned to her and introduced myself, offering her a proper show of gratitude while rubbing at my sore wrists.

"U-uh,.." I paused to scratch the back of my neck, feeling awkward "My n-name is Blake. Thank you for helping me."

She smiled warmly at me and rubbed on her big belly, a content smile on her face.

"Once we get back to my little pack, we can get your wounds taken care of, don't worry, we won't do anything you aren't comfortable with. Is that okay, love?" She radiated warmth and love and just a kindness that was still foreign to me, especially from a stranger. Especially without some alternant motive.

Instead of answering verbally, not trusting my voice, I gave her a weak, tired smile and nodded my head, meekly gesturing for her to lead to way.

She took my hand, moving slowly as to not frighten me, and offered me another smile before slowing turning and walking in an unknown direction. I couldn't help my nerves as we walked, not knowing where I was going.

While walking together, I couldn't help the fear welling in my chest painfully. Why wasn't Micah responding? Was he hurt? Did they kill him? I can't lose him... after everything... we've been through so much...

Looking up and blinking to clear the tears I hadn't known formed, I looked around to try and distract myself.

The sky was glowing a gloomy grey/blue color that I somehow found comforting. The ground slightly damp under my bear feet and the trees weeping silently. They looked so sad, could trees be sad? Maybe it's just my imagination. The grass looked content, the sky looked calm, the trees looked sad, the moss looked happy, and the mushrooms looked like they were up to no good. These thoughts made me smile, Micah would be proud of me and probably laugh, telling me that just because these things are alive doesn't mean they can feel emotions. I missed him so much.

"What's got you giggling?" The voice startled me, and I jumped slightly, almost forgetting the warm hand holding mine, guiding me to an unknown place.

Giving her a more genuine smile, I softly spoke,

"My mate." The words came out as soft as intended, yet the tenderness and love laced within them took me by slight surprise.

"It's good to see you smile, hadn't thought it was possible for such a scared little pup as you." She winked at me, and I blushed, I can't believe I felt this comfortable around a stranger.