Part 15

Jack's POV

My brain felt foggy, like it was filled with cobwebs. I cracked my eyes open. It looked like I was underwater, my vision blurry and soft. I rubbed my eyes with my fists, crust crumbling from the corners of my eyelids. My mouth was dry and gummy, but had a slight trace of mint.

Wakey wakey Jackaboy. How Ya feelin? This one took a bit longer than last time, so Ye may experience some... After effects.

I knew what he meant immediately. The light from the window burned my eyes and my stomach rolled and knotted. It was pretty much hangover, no doubt. I groaned pitifully and pulled my pillow over my head. That was when I noticed my damp hair.

Why is my hair wet? I thought you were just cleaning up the house.

Things got a bit messy. Yer Mark sure has a lot of chores I needed ta help him with. Trust me. Ye didn't want ta wake up with hands As dirty as I got them. I took care of yer shower. I can be helpful in your life as well as Mark's. Soon enough we'll see if you even need YOU at all.

My heart skipped, but he laughed. It was just a joke. Thank the lord.

So how are things with Mark? How are we? Did it help? What do I do now?

"Calm yer questions Sean. I hate questions. But I can assure you that your friendship with Mark is stronger than ever.

Thank god. I don't know what came over me last night. I just got flooded with all these sad feelings and I-

Sean! Sean calm down. Ye don't need ta tell me everything. I'm only here ta help. I'm not gonna make Ye talk about anything you don't care ta explain.

Everyone I knew, even this weird alternate me, was kinder than me. Knew what to say and how to say it. Knew how to make people feel good about themselves. It made me feel like... Garbage.

Thank you. I just... I wish I could trust myself. I want to talk to Mark, but... I don't know what I'd do.

There was a long drawn out silence. I began to wonder if he'd left, but I still felt him in my prominent consciousness. He seemed to be thinking something over. Finally, he spoke.

You want ta talk ta Mark?

Where was he going with this? Was he... Letting me...

Yes.

Well. I am in a strangely good mood. Lookin at Ya, I'm startin ta think you'll be fine talkin an yer own fer a few minutes. How about we try ya out huh? Take ya fer a spin.

You're letting me talk to Mark?

My heart pounded with joy, but also anxiety. What if I goofed? What if I yelled again or cried again? I wasn't in control!

Why not? You've been fine.

I smiled. He was right. I got to talk to Mark, from what I could tell My Partner had had a productive night, and I was feeling much better. I was sure I'd be fine.

So... Right now?

Whenever.

I stood and walked to the door, cautiously turning the knob. I peered out, looking around. I saw a flash of flannel cross the living room down the hall. Collecting myself, I strolled down the corridor and over to where he was sitting. He was on his phone.

"Hey Mark."

He looked up. For a second his face went pale, like he'd seen a ghost. I looked behind me then back at him, confused.