16

Fly. That was all she could do. The ice dragons wouldn't take her back. Not after word got around. So Crystal had to fly.

They landed at the edge of a mountain. It loomed, high and imposing, over the land, casting its shadow. Crystal took Labra off her back and placed it on the ground. She still didn't know whether it was male or female, that would be determined about a week or two after hatching. She pushed Labra along and helped it when it stumbled.

They came to a cave. It was dark, secluded, and a high above ground level so that walking dragons wouldn't spot them, but low enough so that flying dragons wouldn't either.

Crystal backed into the cave and sat down. Here she could be safe, and Labra would grow up perfectly. Sure it was a little warm for her taste, but if she needed a cold place, all she had to do was fly to the top.

Crystal curled up, and before she went to sleep placed a claw over the squirmy Labra. The two took a much needed nap.

"We have to find her! Who knows what will happen now!" Solar Flare paced the room, looking very important. She really wasn't.

"Wait, Tempest." Nightmare reached out to her. "Your stone is glowing."

Crystal realized she was watching through the stone, not someone's eyes. She saw Nightmare reach out and tap once. It gave her a headache. She heard Nightmare mutter something and then tap again.

"It's starting to glow...it's like a mix of dark blue and white and...black."

"What did you do to it?" Tempest asked.

"I was trying to see why it was flowing but all I can get from it is that someone is watching."

"Hello," someone from behind called. Crystal spun around and saw the Gem Queen watching through Tempest's stone as well. Her bright scales lit up the inky dreamscape.

"You need to come back," she said, clearly speaking to Crystal. "Without an Icewing and a Seawing, we will not be able to protect ourselves. Come back."

"I can't," Crystal said. "They'll kill me."

"I'll have the time dragon turn back their memories and replace them with training. You were just observing training and somebody went a little too far. You defended yourself."

"He can do that?"

"Yes," the Gem Queen said. "Now come back."

And just like that, the dream ended. Should I go back?

It could all be just a trick.

Crystal looked down at the sleeping Labra and decided to leave. She picked up Labra and placed her in the snug spot. Crystal walked out into the sunlight.

She took off, heading back to the one place she might die.