Chapter 27 - Aaron, and Kristen's Story

Matt, for the first time in a while, was buzzing from the adrenaline pumping through his veins. He had needed to let it out. Not being violent wasn't usually part of his daily routine so to land straight back into it was almost like a breath of fresh air. 

Kristen stayed away from him throughout the day. He really didn't want to go near her. Threatening to kill her wasn't technically a lie but he knew that he'd only do it as a last resort. Despite the fact that she was a vampire, she was still Kristen, even dead, so he couldn't exactly look at her and feel like she was a threat.

In his classes, she kept to talking to other people. She seemed to be getting friendly to that blonde at the front but Matt didn't want to concentrate on that. He was too busy eyeing the dark haired lad which was currently boring his eyes into the back of Kristen's head, his hand slightly outstretched as if he was fighting himself on whether to talk to her or not. 

By the end of the day, the boy had brought up the courage to talk to her and they were currently leaning on the wall, chatting lightly. Matt didn't catch the conversation very well but he knew that it was small talk. The boy obviously wasn't used to approaching girls but the way Kristen responded to him made him relax slightly.

Matt discovered quite quickly, through passing conversation, that the boy's name was Aaron. 

He even sounded weird.

Kristen didn't seem to notice though. She was smiling gently as the boy talked, moving his hands to emphasise his speech. She nodded at things he said and when she pressed her fingers briefly into his forearm, Matt could see his eyes light up in hope.

Grunting, Matt swung his bag over his shoulder and slumped into the window sill, waiting for the bell to go. He only had one lesson left but he knew that Aaron was also in his class.

No doubt he'd slobber all over Kristen once they sat down together, Matt thought, wrinkling his nose.

If only he knew.

He caught Kristen's eye when she looked up and she stared at him briefly before blinking away and smiling back at Aaron.

She was bloody doing it on purpose!

Stupid vampire leech.

Matt rolled his eyes and entered the classroom as soon as the bell went, ignoring Kristen and Aaron pressed next to the door. Not waiting to let the other students come out, Matt barged his way through the door of flooding students. The ones half way through the door froze and some stumbled backwards in the effort to prevent themselves banging into him as he pushed through into the room, leaving some to bang into the wall in the effort to avoid him.

Smirking, he moved to the back, slumping in his usual seat, before he saw Kristen and Aaron come into the room. Instead of sitting at the front, like Matt had expected, however, Kristen narrowed her eyes and purposely shoved Aaron to sit in the seats right in front of Matt.

Matt's smirk fell as he sighed under his breath, the pleasant raspberry smell tickling his nose. 

At least he knew why she smelt that way.

Kristen avoided eye contact until the last minute and then gave a victory grin as she turned her back on Matt and sat down in front of him, placing her bag on the floor. She immediately twisted to face Aaron and her face forced interest. 

It was almost funny, Matt thought as his mouth sat in a firm line. He eyed them as they started talking and he could see that Aaron was getting more confident. He was leaning towards her, genuinely smiling, his eyes lighting up as he made conversation.

"...it's actually been really welcoming. Everyone is so friendly." Kristen continued as she casually leaned against the front of Matt's desk with her elbow.