Chapter 13 - Attacking Silver Objects

Matt didn’t wait around once he’d turned that night. Still hungry but choosing to ignore it - he had enough fat to last him a while on his wolf form - he padded out onto the street and looked from left to right, scanning the area of any maybe subjects of death, though he had a feeling there wouldn’t be any tonight, as his main subject was on a date.

          Unless she killed beforehand, it was unlikely that she'd strike, but that wouldn’t make much sense as Matt knew that girls took ages to get ready, especially if they were going out on a date. She wouldn’t feel like a murder when she was about to go the cinema with a boy, would she? It would be risky business, lots of planning, clearing up and disposing of evidence. It would take a while and she would more than likely be seen or be clumsy and forget something.

          No, he had a feeling that if she was the culprit, she wouldn’t strike tonight. This would be the day off. He wondered what her parents would think of her if they knew she was killing people, unless she killed her parents too. That would be strange.

To think, they may have both done the same thing…

          Knowing that Kristen and Gareth were going to meet soon, Matt set off at full speed, watching which way he went, as some people still went out at this time of night, usually to go drinking. He didn’t want to bump into anyone.

He took a few alleys, turned a few corners, hid behind a few bushes when someone was coming close to him. He probably looked really silly, if he was seen that is. He doubted he was. You would think a massive wolf would be seen quite clearly around town but you’d be surprised how many places there are to hide.

That, and most people didnt pay attention at night. Their senses were too weak to respond to little movements in the shadows, no matter how big the shadow was.

          He got to the cinema with five minutes to spare. Not even breaking a sweat, he moved behind a bush and began to look around. Cars sat stationary in car park spaces or moved around looking for space, beeping their horns when people took their spots or when someone ran in front of them who must have been in a hurry, as there was no other reason to do so. There was shouting and honking and the sound of grinding gears.

          It was a mess but at least the mess was disappearing. It was dark and people didn’t want to hang around in shops after dark. Most were shutting up anyway. It was a risky time for Matt to be out but also a good time. He could experience a taster of what life could be like at night for families.

          Some families were parking up next to the restaurant next to the cinema, getting ready for a family night out for dinner or maybe a celebration of some sort. Some greeted each other with smiles and hugs while the children were left to run around on the pavement just outside the entrance. Other families were obviously on their own as they dodged the other families and quickly went inside, gently guiding their children in too.

          One family was only just getting out of their car, a blonde little girl of about six, a dark haired father, a small thin mother and a little baby cradled in her arms. They locked their car doors and swiftly moved into the restaurant, smiling a welcome at all the other waiting families. Matt guessed it would be a party to celebrate the birth of this child and his eyes softened. Sweet.

          A loud honk disrupted his thoughts and he shook his head before looking to see what had happened. A woman had ran across the road with her bag swinging on her elbow right in front of a moving car who was obviously waiting to go home. The brakes squealed and the man in the car stuck his head out of the window, shaking his fist and shouting loudly for her to watch where she was going. She stood on the pavement and hurled abuse back at him, flipping her hair and turning her nose up at him before carrying on her travels. The man swore loudly then went back out of view, speeding away much faster than he needed to.