Chapter 25 - Letting Go

Okay so I can't sleep... Going to update again!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they got back to Matt's house, Matt immediately went to the kitchen and poured a glass of water for each of them. Kristen looked worse for wear, but it was expected, he guessed. After all, she probably hadn't slept very well and she'd looked drained even before the incident after college. Now she just looked exhausted.

Matt hated to admit it, but he was worried. She looked sick. He didn't want her to get sick. He wasn't that cruel. In fact, he cared for her quite a bit, more than he seemed to let on. He didn't want to ask though incase she wasn't comfortable talking about whatever was wrong.

Did she know that something was wrong?

Maybe it was a symptom to that sleep thing which she had. It made sense in a way. He couldn't imagine having to fight to stay alive whilst you slept. It had to be draining in itself. No wonder she didn't sleep much.

He carried the glasses back into the living room and his stomach clenched as he saw Kristen on the sofa holding the picture frame of his family. She looked up when he came in and gave him a sad smile as she thanked him and put the frame on the table. 

Matt sat down beside her, his heart trying to relax. It was still quite quick after his little episode and, with Kristen close by, he still wasn't completely relaxed. He wasn't even sure why she was still there after seeing all of that.

Matt turned to her and studied her face. Her cheek bones protruded from her skin and her lips were even redder than before. Her eyes were shadowed and dark both above and below, though they were still startlingly beautiful even when she looked tired.

He snapped his head away before he could study her any more.

Kristen moved her hand to his knee and he heard her swallow gently. He knew she was going to talk even before she opened her mouth. "Are you alright?"

Matt eyed her hand but didn't turn towards her again, sipping his drink and placing it as lightly as he could on the table. Even then, it sounded more forced than he wanted it to be. "I should be asking you that." He murmured. 

"Why?"

Matt looked at her from the corner of his eye and saw that she had a small frown on her face. "I could have killed you today but you never left me."

"Why would I leave you? You needed me." She shuffled closer and thumbed his knee gently. Matt licked his lips as tingles went down his leg. 

"I was turning and you put yourself in danger. Why?"

Kristen paused for a moment and Matt only just caught her words when she said them. "You wouldn't have hurt me."

"What would you have done?" Matt put his hand over hers and gripped her fingers tightly, causing her to wince. He stared at her. "Im not even trying and I'm hurting you now. If I had turned I would have had no control. I would have killed you. It was stupid of you to stay with me."

"But I did and you're fine." She wriggled her fingers in his palm and Matt reluctantly pulled away. "I was scared but only for you, not myself."

"That's very stupid."

Kristen frowned and pulled back slightly. "If I had left then you would have turned. You didn't because I was there and I distracted you. There's no point arguing about it now. What happened happened so just accept that I was there." She tossed her hair and raspberries hit Matt flat into his face. He wheeled back slightly against the sofa but shuffled his legs slightly to try and hide his reaction.