0.5

Idris loathed the mattress he was currently laying on, throughout the night he heard mice crawling and the bed squeaking as if it were going to collapse under him.

His room was tiny with a double bed, set of draws and a small television that didn't work. To say he had the worse night would be an understatement.

Once Idris and Carson got checked in by the old receptionist last night, they went their seperate ways. Idris throwing a pair of clothes at her before locking himself in his room.

He didn't want to think about what was next for him and Carson. He didn't know what would happen or if they'd settle into another small town but for now he was okay with these shit motels and driving.

Looking over at the dirty clock beside him, he let out a loud sigh through his nose.

7:34am.

He felt more tired than ever before although a part of him was excited about this new chapter in his life. He felt his heart beating to a song that had never played before.

Hearing three knocks on his door, Idris dragged himself swinging open the squeaky wooden piece, to find Carson standing in his shorts and white top looking restless and utterly annoyed.

"Worse night of my life, that mattress felt like sandpaper and I couldn't even sleep with those stupid rats running around. I feel like I need to cleanse my body with holy water", she ranted  stepping into his small room.

Did she always talk this much? Idris swore she was quiet for most of their trip yesterday but since they arrived here last night, her mouth had not stopped moving.

Idris suddenly felt like the room was too small for the two of them. He was beginning to feel claustrophobic and restless himself so he stepped outside throwing a hoodie over his head as he welcomed the fresh air.

"Yeah", he agreed, taking out a cigarette and lighter. He needed smokes more than ever now if he was dealing with a rambling panicked girl on top of everything else.

"You don't say much", Carson said lowly coming to stand beside him. Her hair was out this morning blowing softly with the wind. Her brown eyes looked clearer and her shoulders seemed to have loosened over night.

"And you say too much", he grunted, blowing out a puff of smoke in her direction causing her to cough dramatically and wave her pale hand in the air.

Idris let out a dry chuckle before gazing out at the horizon. The sun was barely out covered with dark clouds. Hills went on and on before him while a straight narrow road they were driving on last night stayed empty.

He loved silence. He loved listening to absolutely nothing and feeling this sort of calmness take over his body.

He hated noise and chattering since it always blurred his vision and messed up his mind. That's all people did was talk and talk about anything and nothing.

He just wanted silence.

"I talk when I'm nervous or stressed and right now I'm both. I don't even know your name for crying out loud and you're also extremely weird", she defended, crossing her thin arms over her chest.

The scowl on her face almost made Idris laugh. Almost.

"Okay. We're leaving in five minutes so get whatever you left in that shit hole of a room", he spoke, lifting his chin towards her room to dismiss her.

"Oh well look at that, he talked more than one word to me, I'm feeling flattered", Carson dried, rolling her brown eyes at him.

Idris only sighed shaking his head at the impossible girl before him. Carson stared at him momentarily before letting out a small huff and throwing her hands in the air in defeat. She was being feisty this morning and Idris didn't know if he liked it or not.

"Idris", he whispered, looking up at the sky.

Carson stopped halfway before turning to face him, confusion written on her face.

"What?", she asked, furrowing her eyebrows at the quiet boy leaning on the dirty brick wall.

"My name", he answered simply, casting his blue eyes to her brown ones.

"Idris", she repeated, letting his name settle on her tongue.

She grinned over at him, "I like it", before retreating back into her shit hole of a room.

Christ.