CHAPTER: 16

"When were you going to tell me?" I whispered into the phone.

Anger, sadness and confusion pounded in my head like hammers to my skull.

I didn't know what to think.

But what I did know is that if this didn't work out, I would get through this.

But like I said in my poem, I don't want it to end.

And that's the simple truth to it.

Somehow a whisper was all I could muster.

Was it enough?

While I knew I should be doing this in person, if I saw his face, I wouldn't be able to.

The line was silent for a long moment.

Though I knew he was still there because I could hear his soft breathing.

"I thought," he said oh so slowly and infinitely careful,

"that if I didn't tell you, somehow it would make it less real."

I winced. Ouch.

"Less real being me?

Was I just some kind of temporary toy that you only intended to play with for a little while?"

He sighed heavily. I could picture him running his hands through his

messy curls.

I had to force myself back to the topic at hand.

"No," he sounded tired.

"And I know it doesn't mean much to you, but I didn't want to change the way you looked at me. I wanted you to want me for me. Not for Harry Styles,

one-fifth of the rising band, One direction."

He sighed again, softer this time, like a wisp of air.

My heart tripped painfully and I grimaced.

"And I know it doesn't mean much to you, but I would never see you differently. All you have is my word on that matter, but if we don't have our word, what do we have?"

I said back softly, my anger subsiding.

"Nothing." he said bluntly.

"Without our word we have nothing, I shouldn't have kept that from you, Sarah."

His heavily accented voice sounded husky and deep with exhaustion and something else.

Almost sadness.

"No, you shouldn't have," was all I could say.

What else could I say?

"I knew you would find out.

It was like a ticking bomb, just every time I wanted so bad to tell you, a bitterness stopped me. I don't want to lose you to something I did; Something I kept from you. Now it's my fault that you feel betrayed like you do. It was like I lost if I did say something and lost if I didn't."

"Where does that leave us, then?"

I asked quietly, I had to force them out.

"Well I can tell you one thing.

I can give you my word.

Your not going to get rid of me that easily, if you'll have me, that is?"

His voice was deep, determined.

It took me a moment to respond but, I knew what I was going to say the whole time.

"If you keep your word, I will.

No more secrets. I'll have you, Harry.

But all of you, and not a bit less."

He chuckled.

"Okay, you have me whipped."

I couldn't help but chuckle despite myself.

"And next time I see you, we're going to see just how good you can sing."

"How about tomorrow?"

He asked happily.

"Tomorrow it is," I replied, smiling and began to hang up.

But I heard something on the other end of the phone.

Bringing it back to my ear, I asked; "What's that?"

He cleared his throat.

"I really like you, Sarah. I don't want to mess this up. I've never wanted anything to work out so badly in my whole life."

I sucked in a breath. Heat waved through my arms and back to my chest.

I smiled, lightening the mood.

"Then you better count on your exceptional singing, Harry."

I even dropped a wink.