Chapter 20

Derek's POV

"How long will you be gone?" Scott asks me.

"I don't know. A few weeks. Long enough to drop Cora off and make sure she gets settled in." I say like it's nothing, while I pack.

"Have you heard---" Scott starts but doesn't finish. Even though that's my fault.

"No I haven't. And I don't blame her.." I say, mostly to myself.

"Derek. What truly happened?" He asked me.

"I.. I don't know. One morning I decided to pay her a visit at school and she kissed me then. I didn't stop her.. and then that night at the hospital, when we were in the elevator, she hugged me. And kissed me again. I don't know why. I knew what she was. And the thing is that it was comforting. I feel like she clouded my eyes at the time. I can't believe I did that. I'm an idiot. I just lost my fiancé, the love of my life, and my literal queen. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME??" I said as i threw a lamp from my nightstand. "I almost lost her a few months ago. I can't again. Not this time. And the worst part." I looked at Scott. "I feel our connection fading. What does that mean??" I ask.

"I don't know Derek... maybe she needs time.. she'll come back again. I promise. You guys love each other more than anything I've ever seen. It might take a while. But. It will be worth it. I promise. You guys will come back stronger than ever. You guys are mates anyway." He reassured me.

"I hope you're right, Scott." I told him. He smiled at me and patted my back.

"Come back safe please. Because no matter how mad Cadence is. She will kill me if something happens. Because I'm 'Mr. alpha' now and all." He said while chuckling. I cracked a small smile. "While you're there, take your mind off things. Take your time. Forget about the supernatural." I nodded and sighed.

Scott eventually left so Peter, Cora, and I headed out. And all I could think about was my queen...

Cadences POV

I was down in New Mexico, around Albuquerque when I got a call.

"Hello?" I asked through the phone.

'Ahh. Cadence. We speak again.' The familiar voice said.

"Who are you?" I ask the man.

'I'm like a bounty hunter boss. I find the best hunters and make a deal. Work for me for a month while getting paid and by the end of the month, you stay on and make the big bucks. You will be hired by people trying to find people to save or kill. Most are supernatural. If by the end of the month you don't want to stay, you can walk away, no strings attached and if you're willing, you can come back and help at any time.' The man said.

"And what if I say no to the whole thing right now?" I asked him.

'Then you'll never hear from us again.' He said.

"Is there anyone I know who works for you?" I asked him.

'Yes. 2 people. Meet me on the outskirts of Beacon Hills at a small diner named Jill's place. Bring no one.' And the line went dead.

I turned around and went back.

Two hours in, I was on a small 2 lane, 2 way road and met a car. A silver Toyota... Derek... we both stopped. I got out. So did he.

"C..." I held up my hand.

"I don't want to hear it Derek." I said. He took a small chain out of his pocket with my engagement ring on it.

"This is yours. No matter if you want to cut off the engagement or not. It's yours. I gave it to you. I hope that this time I spend in taking Cora back gives us time and space to think. Well. For you. I know what I want. But I want you to think about what you want and then be sure. I love you, C. And I want to be with you. But what you want will always trump what I want because your happiness is mine. So if you aren't happy with me or this anymore then please. Do not stay. As much as it kills me. Don't. Just... just think about this. About us. About you." He said. I was in tears and so was he. I took the chain with my ring and put it around my neck. I hugged him. I kissed his cheek. Got back in my car and drove away.

I turned on the radio and of course it played 'Photograph' by Ed Sheeran. And then 'Hallelujah' by Pentatonix. Basically the radio played all the songs that hurt your heart.

I finally pulled up to the diner and walked in. The only one to look at me was a man who looked to be in his 60's. he waved me over.

"Cadence Argent. How lovely to finally meet you." The man smiled and I looked at him skeptically while slowly sitting. "Oh. How foolish of me. My name is Tom Shullen or chief as my team calls me. I am the leader of a elite group specialized hunters who are hired by people to find others. Mostly the supernatural." He started.

"You said I knew 2 people in this thing. Who are they?" I asked. He pressed a button on his phone and the diner door opened. I looked and saw two people
I never saw again.

One to be Braeden. We had met a while back when is till lived with Kate. And last I heard Deucalion slashed her throat and you could see he scars. And then. My dawg.

Vernon Boyd.

"Boyd!" I got up and hugged him. After that night. He left and Derek was lost. Mostly why we got away for a few days.

"Cadence!" He said just excited. "How's Derek and you?" He asked. I looked down at my necklace.

"We were engaged." I said.

"Were?" He asked.

"Something happened and I think are on a break." I said. He pulled me in a hug and whispered how it will be okay and we are unbreakable. I smiled and looked back at Tom.

"I'll try this out." I told him and he smiled.

"Wonderful." Tom said and smiled. "Let's get started."

--------

Hey guys!! It's been a little bit. Not as long as usual though!! And this is a pretty short chapter and I'm sorry! Well. This isn't edited. I won't truly edit them until I'm finished with the book. Soooo. Like and comment!!