One

It was one of those nights where I just sat in the back of the building and watched act after act until the person that I drove all the way here to see finally appeared.

I picked up my henny and coke throwing back what was left in the cup. Looking around taking in my surroundings I returned my focus back onto the stage in front of me.

" Hello " She looked around the dim room
" I know y'all tired of seeing me " She spoke in the microphone causing the audience to say other wise " Well with that I guess I'll get started " she half smiled Before clearing her throat.

Closing her eyes and then reopening them she looked around the room once more before placing her hands around the mic.

"We're all searching. Searching for meaning, or a purpose " She paused looking around from person to person taking a deep breath before resuming.

" Just so we can believe we belong in our skin. We want to be a 'definition' or to be defined as a person with an identity " she paused again taking her hands from around the mic shaking them " I'm sorry guys I seem to be a bit nervous tonight "

She scanned the room like she was looking for the person behind the reason for her unusual nervousness.

A few people in the crowd encouraged her to continue. She looked over the room once more looking pass her target each time.

Picking up the bottle of water that was sitting on the stool beside her, she twisted the cap taking a few sips before placing it back down. " okay where were we " she spoke into the mic before closing her eyes.

" Oh yeah identity " she looked around seeing a few people shaking their head. " Who in here knows their true identity? " She asked looking around to see not many hands being raised " Me either " she slightly smiled.

She took a deep breath through her open mouth, closing her eyes she continued on with her poem.

"but we sometimes head in the wrong direction where we have no intention of living in this skin anymore. We dream that we won't be identified by the shape of our bodies or let our looks define us in society our marks on this world should be shaped our creativity and the ability to express ourselves."

She stepped away from the mic indicating she was finished. Just like any other night everyone stood from their sit either snapping or clapping while I just sat there and took in her beauty.

This all started about six months ago, a couple of my college friends and I decided to come by here one night to watch some of the acts out of pure boredom and that I was until she stepped onto the stage.

Her way with words captured me, The way she described the way she felt without actually saying it made me want to know who she really was.

I found out she lived on campus by herself but yet I had never seen her around until that night.

I sat there and watched as she still stood on the stage with her head held high but her eyes casted towards the floor. She slowly looked up meeting my gaze. I didn't dare look away from her due to the fact this is what I had been wanting to happen for the pass six months now.

She finally looked away grabbing her bottle of water off the stool before exiting the stage. I watched as she swiftly moved passed the packed floor of people heading straight for the exit door.

She placed her hand on the handle and just stood there before she slowly turned around meeting my gaze once more.

We stared at each other for a few seconds before she shook her head and turned the knob. I gently smiled earning one back before she opened the door and left.

I turned around in my sit still slightly smiling. She's a mystery I thought to myself

I've taken a liking to an mysterious poet.

Okay I can't sleep and this idea just popped into my head.

I need a little feedback do you all think I should continue?