Chapter X: Bows and Arrows

Felix's ears perked up when he heard "Class wars". He stood up and yelped excitingly, then frowned and slowly calmed down, almost as if someone had been scratching his stomach for a second and then stopped suddenly. 

"What is it?" I asked him. 

"Flashback. You. Me. Arena. Arrows. You know, I had a flashback of our last Class wars," he replied. 

"Oh, Nicholas warned me about that," I said, "Fragments of our memories might pass by us now that the crystal with our memories is cracked. But it's in the hands of Tempura." 

"Someone said tempura?" Bernard bolted upright, probably thinking that we were discussing seafood. "You eat tempura?" he pointed at me. 

Shaking my head, I explained, "Nope, I meant to say Tempest." 

"Good. Tempura's bad; shrimps might kill you, and you might get a bad reputation in the Aquanian Kingdom for eating Tempura." said Bernard. 

"Guys, we have to go; the arena is paging us." Skye shouted as she opened the door, letting in a smell of fried chicken. Fried chicken? Yeah, fried chicken. 

We emerged at the Cloud Plaza and came to a portal, complete with a marble frame and green energy swirling inside. 

A boy around my age entered it and vanished. There seemed to be a line with a few guys and girls. 

I heard a swish of air beside me, and the whining of a horse. 

"Plan changed; seems like the Terranian Kingdom wants a rematch with our team." Nicholas continued, "Our whole school is eligible to participate."  

"Hey, Tony," Herald smirked as he dismounted Nicholas's pegasus. The pegasus gave an annoyed whine, seeming to say "stop eating so much. You're fatter than you are."

"Thanks for the ride, Nick." Herald waved at Nicholas. 

"Where're Kade and Grey, by the way?" I inquired about Herald's and Bernard's Edheroses. 

"Taking their naps; those two are like energized balls of fur, but in the night, they're like . . . pillows." Herald laughed. 

"Nice job making my polar bear a pillow last night," Bernard shot him a look again. 

"The Wars are starting down below; I'd better fly down there, then," Nicholas interrupted. 

Bea swooped to Nicholas's shoulder and said, "Herald, do me a favor and call my man by his actual name, okay?" She sent him a glare. 

Nicholas flew down into the clouds with Bea, and looking towards the portal, I saw that the line had disappeared. 

"Race you there," Felix dashed for the green portal. 

"Good luck with that," I followed him into the swirling green portal. 

His entered head-first, and his brown, wagging tail was last to vanish. 

I sniffed the air then stared at the green frame of the portal, smelling the same chicken odor. 

I sensed something bad, really bad; not just bad but pure evil. I got the feeling that I just felt it recently; why was I feeling it again? 

I stared through the portal and saw the moon shaped in a cresent figure; but I could also see a shadow passing by it; the shadow of a huge bird - definitely not a pegasi.

"Hey, what are you waiting for - Christmas?" Skye yelled behind me. 

I snapped out of it and stepped into the portal, the mist enveloping me until I could see nothing but green.