Chapter VII: Nostalgia I

"Why're you so scared, kid?" said Felix, addressing Keith.

"Gah, another talking animal!" he exclaimed then hid his face under the covers.

"You need to excuse him; he's still in a bit of a shock," Elle stretched her body in a cat-like way.

"Why're the kids outside scared of you guys?" I asked.

"Well, I can already tell that you're a newbie," she snickered, drawing her paws over her face and smoothing the fur.

"Just say it," I rolled my eyes.

"In the 21st battle of Tempest and Sorania, the people of Fira were the ones that Tempest persuaded in an effort to destroy all four of the temples of Althea, the country of wielders."  

She jumped down on the floor and examined Felix. 

"Interesting, a wolf." She paced in circles around Felix. "A near relative of dog," she grinned, showing her teeth. 

"Um, you were saying?" I grumbled; I could feel Felix's nervousness in my veins. He appeared to be straining with exertion, keeping himself from strangling the feline. 

"Ah, yes, Athlea. We're currently right above it."  

"Uh, so why were the kids outside afraid of you?" I repeated, glancing back and forth between animal and human. 

"Oh, I thought I already told you. The Firanian destroyed every temple except for the temple here at Sorania. The Soranians blew us away, as you might put it."  

"Oh. I see." I paused. "So they think you're . . . here to kill everyone?" 

"Exactly my point," she dipped her head once. "But Nicholas let us in anyway; after we saved his life," she sighed. 

At this point, the redheaded boy lowered his blankets and moved a little farther away from the edge of the bed so that we could no longer see his face. Must be hard to learn that you're living in the fantasy world so sudden. I would know, I thought.

"Y-you're not here to kill me, are you?" He trembled. "I-I want to go back home!"

I felt sorry for the little guy, so I changed the subject. "Keith, how old are you?" I asked, leaning on his bunk. 

"I'm only thirteen . . ." he mumbled. "Please don't kill me!" 

"I'm not going to kill you, it's alright," I patted his hand and grinned. 

He glanced up and caught my gaze. He looked a little older than twelve, in my opinion. 

"I promise I won't hurt you in any way, shape, or form," I stared hard at his eyes. 

"But your dog-" 

"Wolf," Felix sighed. 

"Don't worry about him; you have Elle to protect you." 

"Elle? Who's that?" he asked, scanning the room. "I don't know any Elle." 

"He hasn't awakened yet," Elle whispered. 

"You must be crazy like the other guys!" Keith suddenly shouted, looking enlightened. "Who are you talking to?" 

"How come you can see Felix?" I pointed to Felix who was busily inspecting his sides. 

"Everyone in this place seems to be crazy, talking to nothing!" He continued ranting, ignoring my question. 

I turned to Elle who was watching Felix; it seemed as if she would pounce on him any minute.