Chapter 3

Alec’s P.O.V

Walking into the cafeteria, I see the usual cliques and groups scattered around the place. In the exact center I spot my best and only friend, Leonardo Jackson a.k.a  Leo. I don’t really like socializing with people, they really annoy me with all their pointless and useless chatter about parties and whatnot. As if I would even care about that.

Girls are the worst, sure they might be hot and all. But their dumb and self-centered conversations just make me want to kill them.

I make my way over to where Leo sat, and plop down into a chair, still mad about what had happened in the morning. Stupid teachers.

“Hey dude, did you hear the news in the assembly today?”

“No man I ditched.” I left as soon as Mrs. Donovan went up on stage.

“Well, you missed out on quite a lot.”

“What, did Donovan and our dear Gordon finally announce that they’re getting married or something?” I scoff.

“Ha. I wish. Sadly, they didn’t.” pausing, he continued. “You know Isaac Anderson?”

“You mean my father’s biggest enemy? The only rival gang as powerful as ours? The man that’s been creating havoc in our lives since we were children?” rolling my eyes, I say. “Well obviously, I do know about him.”

“Okay okay. No need to go sarcastic on my ass.” Leaning closer he says. “His daughter just joined this very school.”

“Did she now? Interesting.”

“I know right. I mean, we didn’t even know he had a daughter, and we’ve been keeping track of his whereabouts for the past six years. He’s amazing at hiding things from people.”

“Hmm.”

The ringing of a phone interrupted us. Leo quickly pulls out his phone and answers it. “Yes sir?”

Must be my dad. That’s the only time Leo here is so formal. You see, my father and I don’t get along. At all. Not even a little bit, so we’ve taken to avoiding each other as much as possible. So much so that we don’t meet for months at a stretch, don’t talk to each other unless necessary. It’s been three months since we met, even though we live in the same city. I moved out as soon as I turned sixteen, so that I  could get away from daddy dearest. Amazing isn’t it?

“Of course sir. I shall convey the message.” Hanging up, he turns to me with a look of regret and trepidation on his face.

“Let me guess, daddy dearest wants something from me?” I drawl.

“Well…”

“Come on, spit it out. What job does he have for me this time?”

My father and I have a deal; we don’t interact or have to put up with each other on a daily basis. And in return he lets me live my life with no interference from him. All I have to do is do all the jobs he asks me to do. Son or not, not doing a job he tells me to is not an option.

“He-uh..he-” he stutters.

“God! Just tell me!”

“He wants you to date Isaac’s daughter.”

Zoey ‘ s P.O.V

The next few classes passed by with no significant incident, unless you count out the stares and whispers and looks from the rest of the students. As the bell for lunch rang I quickly gathered all my things and made my way out of the classroom with Matthew hot on my heels.

“I can’t believe we don’t get any food breaks between classes. This is just inhumane.” I whine.

“It’s always been like this, it’s the school system babe.”

“I’m not used to being so hungry you know.” I scoff.

“Whatev’s.” He rolled his eyes at me.

As soon as we entered the cafeteria we headed towards the long lunch line across the room, halfway there a large body hurtled towards me. My brain shut down and froze me to the spot, until a grip of steel clasped onto my arm and yanked me out of the way. Leaving it to crash into Matthew and take him down with the weight. Suddenly I find myself watching the incident from behind Anubis’s back, she must have been the one to pull me out of the way. Something I will always be in her debt for, because that collision would have hurt like a bitch.

Groaning, Matthew lay on the floor with a large boy sprawled half on him and half on the floor.

“Get off of him!” I shriek as soon as I regain control of my body.

“Shut up bitch.” The boy snaps as he pulls himself up. Kicking Matthew in the stomach he sneers, “The asshole had it coming.”

“You can’t treat people like this!” I scream at him.

“Oh yeah? Why can’t I?” By now the entire cafeteria’s attention is focused on us. Not a single sound to be heard. Gathering my courage, I continue despite my growing nervousness.

“Let it go.” Wheezed out Matthew as he pulled himself to his feet and came to stand by me.

Ignoring him, I continue, “Because it’s inhumane!”

“His existence is inhumane.”

“You bastard!” I gasp.

“What did you say to me bitch? Do you know who I am?” he takes large threatening steps towards me, “I am Colton James and no one can dare disrespect me. Now, apologize to me.”

“Over my dead body.” I blurt. Where the heck is this coming from? Why on earth don’t I just apologize and get it over with? Thank you dear brain, for suddenly deciding to utilize a previously unknown, ballsy side to me. Not.

“You asked for it bitch!” Clenching his hands into fists he moves towards me. Swinging his right arm forward he aims a punch at me. Knowing I can’t escape I close my eyes and await my fate.

Unexpectedly I’m yanked further away and a figure in black steps in my place. Dodging his punch, she feints to the left, grabs his wrist and follows with a swift jab to his elbow joint. The sickening crunch of breaking bone resounds through the room. Not pausing, she kicks his left foot to the side and placing her right foot over the knee joint, puts her entire weight onto his leg, another large crack echoes through the room. Grabbing his head she pulled it back and delivered a quick punch to his face.

All in the span of  mere seconds. Colton collapses to the ground, screaming in pain. Clutching his broken limbs as they stick out at unnatural angles. His friends rush to his side and help him out of the room, shooting menacing glares at us.

Climbing onto a nearby table, Anubis turns to face us all. The eyes of every student are glued onto her.

“I think we need to set some ground rules.” Her voice, although quiet, carries through the whole room clearly. “If any of you so much as lay a finger on her, what happened to your friend Colton James here, will seem like paradise. Am I clear?”

“Why the heck should we listen to you bitch!” screamed an unknown voice.

“Because, I have no problem whatsoever in killing you. You threaten my charge, and I will kill you and everyone you know. Am I clear?”

Terror filled the faces of the crowd and they quickly nodded their heads.

“Good. Now someone clean up this mess.”

I’m still in shock. All the past guards I’ve had over the years (and I have had way too many!) none were so viscous. They were all just glamorized thugs who only knew how to punch repeatedly till the person drops dead, but only in extreme situations. But Anubis was different. She was definitely a lot deadlier than all the rest combined. The way she attacked showed an extensive understanding of the weak spots of the human body. Something a trained killer knows. Like in the movies!

I know I know, what the heck am I doing comparing real life to movies. But that’s the best I have to go by right now. So don’t judge me.