Chapter 29

It's been a hectic few weeks, so I wasn't able to give any time to my stories. However, this situation won't get any better till may. So I'm warning you all now, UPDATES WILL BE VERY IRREGULAR. Bear with me please.

-ih8nuts

Leo:

"What has got you so worried? I thought you'd be glad to be back home." Jade questioned noting my brooding expression. We had reached home late last night, a night before our scheduled arrival, and had yet to inform anyone of our return.

"Alec. Who else could it be?" I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger.

"Hey, hey. What happened?" She reached out and stroked my bicep. Instantly I could feel the stress and worry alleviating. Letting out a heartfelt sigh, I turned and slipped my arms about her delicate waist.

"There's trouble again. Now that Alec is back, I expected there to be some sort of progress in their situation. I mean I've been trying to fix this situation for three whole years now."

"I know that dearest, but you have to keep trying. You shouldn't let that effect you so. Every couple undergoes their problems, Alec and Zoey just have a more prolonged problem."

"I understand that, baby. But such an extensive separation from his mate isn't good for Alec specifically."

"How so?" Jade scrunched up her face in confusion.

"When a werewolf finds his mate, it's like they've found their world. Most aren't able to bear even the shortest of separations and end up either killing themselves and their mate. Or lose their minds and kidnap and torture their other half."

"Oh. But you said that they can't bear even the shortest of separations, but how did Alec bear the three year long one."

"I don't know how he managed, it's extremely rare for the werewolf to last longer than even a week."

"If he lasted that long, he should be able to last a little longer. No?"

"No. He's becoming more and more unstable. For the duration of those three years he had accepted that she was gone, so he managed to retain his sanity. But now he was given hope, only for her to push him away again. He's going to go feral if Zoey doesn't allow him to even just see her."

Linking her arms about my neck, she rested her head on my chest. A sense of contentment flowed through me.

"Do you feel that?"

"Feel what?" she mumbled into my chest.

"That feeling of completion, of contentment."

"Mmhmm"

"Jade." She lifted her head up and looked me in the eye, knowing that I would never call her by her actual name unless it was a serious matter. "I want this for my Alpha. For my friend. For my brother. I remember we didn't have a smooth start to our relationship either. But he helped us, however much he could manage from across the world. Without him, I wouldn't even be alive to be able to hold you right now. I owe him everything. I need to help him."

"Oh Leo, I know he's done so much more than we will ever be able to repay. But this situation is such that we can't do anything. No matter how much we want to." Jade tenderly caressed my face.

"There has to be something we can do." No matter what it would take, I was willing to do anything to help out my brother.

"We have probably tried everything we can to smooth along things."

"But we haven't done enough. Obviously, we've missed something." I argued.

"There's a limit to how much you can help." She sighed.

"But-" I would not just accept defeat so easily.

"I think it's time we dropped it. Sometimes even what is meant to be doesn't work out."

"No." I was adamant that I would solve or help solve my friend's problem. No matter what I had to do.

"Other than creating a life/death scenario, I don't think we've left a single stone unturned. Sometimes, it just isn't meant to be. " She sighed. Planted a chaste kiss on my cheek, removed herself from my arms and began to gather her things laying about our room. Watching her graceful form efficiently tidy the room, I mulled over what she had just said.

"A life/death situation." I mused out loud.

"Pardon?" Jade glanced at me looking confused.

"I've gotten it. A life/death situation!" I rushed forward and planted a fierce, quick kiss on her luscious lips. "Thank you, baby girl!"

Excitement bubbled up inside me and threatened to spill over. I quickly snatched up my phone amd rushed to the car. I needed to do this as soon as I possibly could.

"Wha-" Jade had barely started speaking but I had already bolted out the door.

Consumed by my new idea, I started the car and pulled out into traffic. Frantically I scrolled through my phone and dialled the designated number.

"Hello?" Answered a groggy voice.

"Zoey, listen to me very carefully." I deliberately rose my voice a few octaves to suit the situation I was creating.

"What? Who? Cupcakes?" She blabbered. Poor girl was probably still asleep, considering it was currently dawn, I wasn't surprised.

"No not cupcakes." I groaned. "Not everything is about cake."

"What do you want?" She snapped.

"Someone's got their panties in a twist. I wouldn't disturb you right now if it weren't serious."

"I'm sleeping. Bye."

"No wait! this is important." I pleaded desperately.

"What?"

"It's Alec."

"What about him?"Though she fought valiantly to hide her feelings, I couldn't help but notice it in the sudden change in her tone of voice.

"He's gone insane. Called me about five minutes ago threatening to kill himself." I would burn in hell for all the lies I have just uttered. Unless Zoey got to me first.

"What?" I could practically hear her heartbeat increase through the phone.

"I don't know what to do. You need to come with me, we need to stop him before he hangs himself from the cieling fan!" The gasp on the other end of the line assured me that my acting skills were superb. She bought it.

"Why didn't you say so before?!"

"I w-"

"Save it. Where are you and where is he?"

"I'm on my way to your house, hurry up and meet me outside. I'll take you with me to Alec's."

"I'll be ready in 5." Her voice was panicked, and I could hear her rapid breathing over the phone.

"Okay." I disconnected the phone call and put the phone in it's holder. Alec had better love me for eternity for this.

And that, ladies and gentlemen; Is how it is done.