Chapter 9-Subjects

Chapter‭ ‬9

    We‭ ‬awoke‭ ‬the‭ ‬next‭ ‬morning‭ ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬sounds‭ ‬of‭ ‬gunfire.‭ ‬They‭ ‬echoed,‭ ‬but‭ ‬they‭ ‬were‭ ‬a‭ ‬little‭ ‬too‭ ‬close‭ ‬for‭ ‬comfort.‭ ‬Kybe‭ ‬quickly‭ ‬rose‭ ‬to‭ ‬his‭ ‬feet,‭ ‬forgetting‭ ‬about‭ ‬the‭ ‬pain‭ ‬that‭ ‬was‭ ‬in‭ ‬his‭ ‬side.

‭    "‬We‭ ‬have‭ ‬to‭ ‬go,‭ ‬they‭ ‬are‭ ‬getting‭ ‬close.‭" ‬he‭ ‬said,‭ ‬heading‭ ‬for‭ ‬the‭ ‬door.

‭    "‬How‭ ‬do‭ ‬you‭ ‬know‭ ‬it‭'‬s‭ ‬them‭? ‬What‭ ‬if‭ ‬it‭ ‬just‭ ‬a‭ ‬different‭ ‬group‭?" ‬I‭ ‬asked.‭ ‬He‭ ‬looked‭ ‬at‭ ‬me‭ ‬with‭ ‬a‭ ‬stern‭ ‬face‭ ‬before‭ ‬speaking.

‭    "‬I‭ ‬could‭ ‬never‭ ‬forget‭ ‬their‭ ‬scent.‭ ‬Come,‭ ‬lets‭ ‬go.‭  ‬If‭ ‬we‭ ‬keep‭ ‬going‭ ‬west,‭ ‬we‭ ‬might‭ ‬be‭ ‬able‭ ‬to‭ ‬stay‭ ‬out‭ ‬of‭ ‬their‭ ‬search‭ ‬zone‭ ‬for‭ ‬a‭ ‬while.‭" ‬I‭ ‬stood‭ ‬and‭ ‬walked‭ ‬to‭ ‬him‭ ‬slowly‭ ‬as‭ ‬he‭ ‬looked‭ ‬out‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬broken‭ ‬window.

‭    "‬How‭ ‬do‭ ‬you‭ ‬know‭ ‬so‭ ‬much‭ ‬about‭ ‬them.‭ ‬I‭ ‬thought‭ ‬we‭ ‬were‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬go‭ ‬where‭ ‬I‭ ‬thought‭ ‬was‭ ‬best,‭ ‬but‭ ‬I‭ ‬think‭ ‬you‭ ‬have‭ ‬been‭ ‬leading‭ ‬me‭ ‬this‭ ‬whole‭ ‬time.‭ ‬And‭ ‬what‭ ‬do‭ ‬you‭ ‬mean‭ ‬you‭ ‬can‭'‬t‭ ‬forget‭ ‬their‭ ‬scent,‭ ‬have‭ ‬they‭ ‬been‭ ‬hunting‭ ‬you‭ ‬this‭ ‬whole‭ ‬time,‭ ‬or‭ ‬have‭ ‬you‭ ‬been‭ ‬leading‭ ‬them‭?" ‬I‭ ‬did‭ ‬bombard‭ ‬him‭ ‬with‭ ‬questions,‭ ‬but‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬so‭ ‬many‭ ‬of‭ ‬them,‭ ‬and‭ ‬I‭ ‬needed‭ ‬to‭ ‬know‭ ‬if‭ ‬I‭ ‬could‭ ‬trust‭ ‬him.‭ ‬Unfortunately,‭ ‬before‭ ‬he‭ ‬could‭ ‬say‭ ‬anything,‭ ‬an‭ ‬object‭ ‬was‭ ‬thrown‭ ‬into‭ ‬the‭ ‬room‭ ‬that‭ ‬we‭ ‬were‭ ‬in‭ ‬through‭ ‬the‭ ‬broken‭ ‬window.‭ ‬It‭ ‬began‭ ‬to‭ ‬disperse‭ ‬a‭ ‬white‭ ‬smoke.‭ ‬My‭ ‬head‭ ‬instantly‭ ‬felt‭ ‬lighter‭ ‬and‭ ‬heavier‭ ‬at‭ ‬the‭ ‬same‭ ‬time.‭ ‬I‭ ‬fell‭ ‬to‭ ‬my‭ ‬knees,‭ ‬then‭ ‬let‭ ‬the‭ ‬rest‭ ‬of‭ ‬my‭ ‬body‭ ‬collapse.‭ ‬From‭ ‬there,‭ ‬I‭ ‬did‭ ‬my‭ ‬best‭ ‬to‭ ‬fight‭ ‬the‭ ‬urge‭ ‬of‭ ‬sleep.

    Kybe‭ ‬fell‭ ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬ground,‭ ‬unconscious.‭ ‬He‭ ‬must‭ ‬be‭ ‬weaker‭ ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬gas,‭ ‬considering‭ ‬his‭ ‬strong‭ ‬nose.

    A‭ ‬large‭ ‬group‭ ‬of‭ ‬people‭ ‬rushed‭ ‬into‭ ‬the‭ ‬facility.‭ ‬They‭ ‬were‭ ‬all‭ ‬carrying‭ ‬either‭ ‬a‭ ‬rifle‭ ‬or‭ ‬a‭ ‬pistol‭ ‬in‭ ‬their‭ ‬hands.‭ ‬One‭ ‬of‭ ‬them‭ ‬came‭ ‬up‭ ‬and‭ ‬knelt‭ ‬in‭ ‬front‭ ‬of‭ ‬my‭ ‬face.‭ ‬Their‭ ‬gas‭ ‬masks‭ ‬hid‭ ‬their‭ ‬face‭ ‬well,‭ ‬so‭ ‬all‭ ‬I‭ ‬saw‭ ‬was‭ ‬my‭ ‬reflection.

‭    "‬This‭ ‬one‭ ‬is‭ ‬still‭ ‬awake.‭" ‬they‭ ‬said.‭ ‬By‭ ‬the‭ ‬lightness‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬voice,‭ ‬it‭ ‬was‭ ‬most‭ ‬likely‭ ‬a‭ ‬female.‭ ‬Another‭ ‬walked‭ ‬up‭ ‬to‭ ‬Kybe‭ ‬and‭ ‬nudged‭ ‬him‭ ‬with‭ ‬his‭ ‬foot.

‭    "‬Subject‭ ‬219‭ ‬is‭ ‬down.‭ ‬Get‭ ‬this‭ ‬place‭ ‬clear‭ ‬and‭ ‬we‭'‬ll‭ ‬head‭ ‬out.‭" ‬He‭ ‬had‭ ‬a‭ ‬deep‭ ‬voice,‭ ‬revealing‭ ‬that‭ ‬he‭ ‬was‭ ‬a‭ ‬male.‭ ‬The‭ ‬rest‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬group‭ ‬spread‭ ‬throughout‭ ‬the‭ ‬building,‭ ‬calling‭ ‬out‭ ‬if‭ ‬the‭ ‬room‭ ‬they‭ ‬entered‭ ‬was‭ ‬clear.‭ ‬I‭ ‬began‭ ‬to‭ ‬lift‭ ‬my‭ ‬head‭ ‬off‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬ground,‭ ‬but‭ ‬the‭ ‬female‭ ‬instantly‭ ‬aimed‭ ‬her‭ ‬rifle‭ ‬at‭ ‬me.