Chapter 16-Venus Project

Kybe and I walked in silence. We were able to leave easily once Jackal had killed the men who had tried to prevent us from escaping.

I made sure not to watch as Kybe and I stood far away. Once free, we took our separate ways.

"Christina," I heard Kybe say, but I tried not to listen. "I'm sorry that I have to do this, but this is to keep you safe."

"I haven't been the least bit of safe since the moment I met you." I smiled, joking yet feeling heat swell in my chest. It was as if he ripped off the layer of armor I held up all these years, making me vulnerable and emotional.

"I guess you're right," he sighed. "But now this is serious. This whole mess is now having you be the center of attention."

"Why me? What have I done to become so narcissistic?"

"It was the moment we first arrived on earth. Fang had seen you when he arrived, on a construction site, and had created his plan at that moment"

"That was him?" I stopped in place, remembering the first sight of death as the first of their kind began to take over the top of the food chain, wiping us out completely. The look in his eyes; no wonder when I saw him my body tensed. "Then what does he want with me?"

"You are the final key. To complete the Venus Project. A project so apocolyptic, that earth would no longer remain. It was used a millennia ago for the first time on Venus when we had to wipe out their creatures."

"And this explains why he needs me?"

"Your blood is one of the rarest of types. It holds the blood of the first creator of the humans; the only blood that can carry out the project."

I held my arm at my side, stopping under a rustling tree that swayed with the wind, my hair flowing with it. The sun was setting as Kybe turned to face me. I held my head low, trying to fight back the anger filling my eyes with the burning liquid, threatening to make its way down my cheeks.

Silence conquered us for a moment, one that I wish could wipe out this grief and death that flowed around us. With it came the everlasting fear of loneliness as I raised my head, looking into his eyes.

"I want to fight with you." I said, my voice cracking as a bulge in my throat formed. His body tensed. With a stiff face, he took a step towards me.

"It will only bring you closer to your death."

"How do I know you won't come back? I would just die anyways." He continued to walk as I spoke.

"And if you go, I can't guarantee your protection."

"I can fight for myself."

"You are a human against monsters."

"Humans are the real monsters."

He stopped a few inches from me.

He spoke.

"That means you are a monster."

"And you are an angel."

"An angel that fell..."

"Let me come."

"Why?"

"Because I love you."