Chapter 18-Scales

I crouched down in the bushes, holding my sore feet as I watched Kybe approach the two beings. Fang and Jackal stood next to each other, watched as Kybe carefully walked up to them.

"Where is she?" Fang asked.

"She isn't here. I took her somewhere far away from, so you and I could settle things." Kybe growled, claws in a fist. His normal form returned.

"We need her for the plan! You are the only one that can complete it!" Jackal snapped. Seems like he knew the plan fully. Yet, Fang held his claw up to silence him. Jackal took as step back as Fang took one forward.

"You are the one that marked her, you are the one to kill her. You know this, so why keep her alive now when you will end up killing her later?"

"We don't need to complete the Venus Project, Fang. The humans are already dwindled to nothing, so why exterminate them?" Kybe argued, his voice raising.

"The Elders command this planet and all life on it to be destroyed. You betrayed us by trying to warn them, but they didn't listen, did they?" Fang smirked. "They saw you as a threat, and locked you away, experimenting and testing on you like some kind of animal. To humans we are monsters."

Kybe cringed, remembering when we first met I suppose.

"That human woman thinks no differently of us. She is still afraid, and she wants us gone and dead."

"Wait, Fang, that isn't true." Jackal stepped in. "I have her memories, and she isn't afraid of us as much as you would think. She at least considers Kybe as a friend if not more."

"It is because she is marked." Fang exclaimed.

"Even so, she wants to stay with me." Kybe snapped, glaring at the helpless leader.

"I believe that this woman could possibly want to help us." Jackal added.

"Then she could die for us to help complete the project!" Fang grew vicious, his hair standing up.

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck cringe when I heard a small twig snap behind me.

Slowly turning, I caught the sight of a familiar face who smiled child-like.

"Hello," he whispered, holding a claw up to me to signal a small wave. I let my heart ease to realize who it was.

"Scales, what are you doing here?" I sighed silently with relief. He only giggled.

"After what happened at the lab, I was set free. I thought I would find you, since your scent is the strongest."

"My scent?"

"Yeah, that of a human and of my kind. You are marked after all, so you would smell more like Kybe."

I blushed at the thought. "But why follow me?"

"I want to help you."

"What?"

"After all, you are like a big sister to me now. And I believe in helping my family. Just say it and I will do anything." He smiled widely, his sharp teeth large with determination. I couldn't help but quietly laugh while rubbing his head like he was a child.

"Alright then, I'll take you up on that offer."