chapter 8-decision

Chapter‭ ‬8

    I‭ ‬was‭ ‬able‭ ‬to‭ ‬stitch‭ ‬the‭ ‬wound‭ ‬carefully‭ ‬without‭ ‬him‭ ‬waking‭ ‬up,‭ ‬but‭ ‬it‭ ‬was‭ ‬when‭ ‬I‭ ‬lit‭ ‬the‭ ‬candle‭ ‬that‭ ‬his‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬shot‭ ‬open‭ ‬and‭ ‬he‭ ‬jolted‭ ‬from‭ ‬the‭ ‬sound.‭ ‬His‭ ‬fear‭ ‬of‭ ‬fire‭ ‬was‭ ‬still‭ ‬strong,‭ ‬and‭ ‬it‭ ‬was‭ ‬a‭ ‬different‭ ‬method‭ ‬of‭ ‬helping‭ ‬the‭ ‬close‭ ‬the‭ ‬wound.‭ ‬Their‭ ‬kind‭ ‬would‭ ‬heat‭ ‬some‭ ‬type‭ ‬of‭ ‬metal‭ ‬and‭ ‬then‭ ‬weld‭ ‬the‭ ‬wound‭ ‬shut,‭ ‬but‭ ‬what‭ ‬I‭ ‬was‭ ‬doing,‭ ‬was‭ ‬allowing‭ ‬the‭ ‬dripping‭ ‬wax‭ ‬to‭ ‬dry‭ ‬onto‭ ‬the‭ ‬stitches.‭ ‬It‭ ‬worked‭ ‬for‭ ‬me‭ ‬plenty‭ ‬of‭ ‬time,‭ ‬as‭ ‬long‭ ‬as‭ ‬he‭ ‬didn‭'‬t‭ ‬move‭ ‬for‭ ‬a‭ ‬few‭ ‬hours.

‭    "‬Keep‭ ‬that‭ ‬fire‭ ‬away‭ ‬from‭ ‬me.‭" ‬he‭ ‬growled,‭ ‬keeping‭ ‬his‭ ‬breath‭ ‬in‭ ‬as‭ ‬I‭ ‬st‭ ‬the‭ ‬car‭ ‬candle‭ ‬down.‭ ‬The‭ ‬wax‭ ‬had‭ ‬to‭ ‬melt‭ ‬some‭ ‬before‭ ‬I‭ ‬could‭ ‬use‭ ‬it.

‭    "‬It‭'‬s‭ ‬to‭ ‬help‭ ‬close‭ ‬your‭ ‬wound.‭ ‬I‭'‬m‭ ‬only‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬use‭ ‬the‭ ‬wax,‭ ‬nothing‭ ‬else.‭" ‬I‭ ‬assured.‭ ‬He‭ ‬let‭ ‬go‭ ‬of‭ ‬his‭ ‬held‭ ‬breath‭ ‬and‭ ‬sat‭ ‬up‭ ‬into‭ ‬a‭ ‬more‭ ‬comfortable‭ ‬position.‭ ‬I‭ ‬let‭ ‬go‭ ‬of‭ ‬my‭ ‬uneasiness‭ ‬as‭ ‬I‭ ‬sat‭ ‬on‭ ‬my‭ ‬knees‭ ‬in‭ ‬front‭ ‬of‭ ‬him.

‭    "‬It‭'‬s‭ ‬raining,‭" ‬he‭ ‬sighed.‭ ‬I‭ ‬looked‭ ‬over‭ ‬my‭ ‬should‭ ‬to‭ ‬look‭ ‬out‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬cracked‭ ‬windows‭ ‬to‭ ‬see‭ ‬the‭ ‬grey‭ ‬sky‭ ‬let‭ ‬thick‭ ‬droplets‭ ‬of‭ ‬water‭ ‬hit‭ ‬anything‭ ‬in‭ ‬its‭ ‬path‭ ‬on‭ ‬the‭ ‬way‭ ‬down.‭ ‬The‭ ‬smell‭ ‬of‭ ‬mud‭ ‬filled‭ ‬the‭ ‬room‭ ‬with‭ ‬the‭ ‬feeling‭ ‬of‭ ‬dehydration‭ ‬finally‭ ‬taking‭ ‬me‭ ‬over.‭ ‬I‭ ‬stood‭ ‬and‭ ‬cupped‭ ‬my‭ ‬hands‭ ‬oi‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬window‭ ‬to‭ ‬fill‭ ‬them‭ ‬with‭ ‬the‭ ‬quick‭ ‬water,‭ ‬then‭ ‬drank‭ ‬what‭ ‬I‭ ‬could.‭ ‬Kybe‭'‬s‭ ‬kind‭ ‬didn‭'‬t‭  ‬drink‭ ‬water,‭ ‬since‭ ‬it‭ ‬didn‭'‬t‭ ‬go‭ ‬well‭ ‬with‭ ‬their‭ ‬digestive‭ ‬system.

‭    "‬Sometimes,‭ ‬I‭ ‬wish‭ ‬I‭ ‬could‭ ‬be‭ ‬human‭ ‬like‭ ‬you,‭ ‬then‭ ‬maybe‭ ‬you‭ ‬would‭ ‬trust‭ ‬me‭ ‬a‭ ‬bit‭ ‬more.‭" ‬he‭ ‬mumbled‭ ‬behind‭ ‬me.‭ ‬I‭ ‬sighed‭ ‬and‭ ‬took‭ ‬my‭ ‬place‭ ‬in‭ ‬front‭ ‬of‭ ‬him‭ ‬again‭ ‬before‭ ‬I‭ ‬spoke.

‭    "‬I‭ ‬really‭ ‬don‭'‬t‭ ‬trust‭ ‬anyone,‭ ‬no‭ ‬matter‭ ‬who‭ ‬they‭ ‬are.‭ ‬I‭ ‬guess‭ ‬I‭ ‬could‭ ‬trust‭ ‬your‭ ‬kind‭ ‬more‭ ‬than‭ ‬mine‭ ‬now‭ ‬in‭ ‬days.‭"

    "But‭ ‬I‭ ‬still‭ ‬feel‭ ‬the‭ ‬uneasiness‭ ‬coming‭ ‬from‭ ‬you.‭ ‬Please,‭ ‬I‭ ‬really‭ ‬do‭ ‬want‭ ‬you‭ ‬to‭ ‬trust‭ ‬me.‭" ‬He‭ ‬leaned‭ ‬in‭ ‬closer‭ ‬to‭ ‬me.‭ ‬The‭ ‬space‭ ‬between‭ ‬us‭ ‬grew‭ ‬smaller,‭ ‬but‭ ‬I‭ ‬wasn‭'‬t‭ ‬sure‭ ‬if‭ ‬he‭ ‬knew‭ ‬what‭ ‬he‭ ‬was‭ ‬doing.‭ ‬He‭ ‬stopped‭ ‬leaning,‭ ‬fortunately,‭ ‬and‭ ‬sighed.‭ ‬He‭ ‬stared‭ ‬into‭ ‬my‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬with‭ ‬such‭ ‬determination,‭ ‬it‭ ‬was‭ ‬almost‭ ‬assuring.‭ ‬Trusting‭ ‬him‭ ‬could‭ ‬be‭ ‬the‭ ‬biggest‭ ‬mistake,‭ ‬but‭ ‬it‭ ‬could‭ ‬also‭ ‬save‭ ‬my‭ ‬life.

‭    "‬I‭ ‬guess‭ ‬I‭ ‬have‭ ‬no‭ ‬choice‭ ‬when‭ ‬you‭ ‬look‭ ‬at‭ ‬me‭ ‬like‭ ‬that.‭" ‬I‭ ‬said.‭ ‬I‭ ‬quickly‭ ‬grabbed‭ ‬the‭ ‬candle‭ ‬and‭ ‬poured‭ ‬the‭ ‬wax‭ ‬on‭ ‬his‭ ‬wound.‭ ‬He‭ ‬writhed‭ ‬in‭ ‬pain‭ ‬as‭ ‬he‭ ‬leaned‭ ‬his‭ ‬head‭ ‬back‭ ‬against‭ ‬the‭ ‬wall.‭ ‬The‭ ‬wax‭ ‬dried‭ ‬quickly,‭ ‬and‭ ‬I‭ ‬blew‭ ‬the‭ ‬cancel‭ ‬out‭ ‬to‭ ‬reveal‭ ‬the‭ ‬darkness‭ ‬surrounding‭ ‬us.‭ ‬The‭ ‬sky‭ ‬was‭ ‬a‭ ‬darker‭ ‬shade‭ ‬of‭ ‬grey‭ ‬now.

    I‭ ‬sat‭ ‬beside‭ ‬him,‭ ‬holding‭ ‬my‭ ‬knees‭ ‬in‭ ‬my‭ ‬arms‭ ‬close‭ ‬to‭ ‬my‭ ‬chest.‭ ‬He‭ ‬seemed‭ ‬to‭ ‬have‭ ‬fallen‭ ‬back‭ ‬asleep,‭ ‬but‭ ‬his‭ ‬head‭ ‬heavily‭ ‬fell‭ ‬on‭ ‬my‭ ‬shoulder.‭ ‬The‭ ‬scent‭ ‬of‭ ‬him‭ ‬filled‭ ‬the‭ ‬air‭ ‬around‭ ‬me.‭ ‬He‭ ‬smelled‭ ‬different‭ ‬from‭ ‬the‭ ‬others.‭ ‬He‭ ‬smelled‭ ‬more‭ ‬human,‭ ‬not‭ ‬like‭ ‬blood.‭ ‬It‭ ‬was‭ ‬comforting,‭ ‬but‭ ‬also‭ ‬frightening.‭ ‬What‭ ‬if‭ ‬really‭ ‬was‭ ‬captured‭ ‬by‭ ‬the‭ ‬humans‭? ‬Could‭ ‬they‭ ‬have‭ ‬experimented‭ ‬on‭ ‬him‭ ‬and‭ ‬used‭ ‬him‭ ‬to‭ ‬do‭ ‬their‭ ‬bidding‭? ‬If‭ ‬that‭ ‬is‭ ‬the‭ ‬case,‭ ‬then‭ ‬I‭ ‬have‭ ‬no‭ ‬choice‭ ‬but‭ ‬to‭ ‬free‭ ‬him.‭ ‬There‭ ‬has‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬a‭ ‬way‭ ‬to‭ ‬help‭ ‬him‭ ‬be‭ ‬free.‭ ‬I‭ ‬know‭ ‬how‭ ‬it‭ ‬feels‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬a‭ ‬puppet.