Chapter 11-Chosen

"You are the marked one, yes? We will not stay here long. We will find Subject 219 and leave. Come, I will heal you." He knelt by my leg and placed his claws on it where he snapped the leg back place, and began to rub the wound.

I've heard about their healing techniques and how only a few of their kind can use them. Never have I experienced such a thing. My leg was soon healed, and he helped me up to my feet.

"Who are you?" I asked, amazed by who this was.

"I am Jackal, Kybe's sibling, as your kind would call us. We were born in the same building, but not with the same parents."

"So then you are a vegetarian as well?"

"Correct; I do not crave the flesh and blood of a human or living thing like the normality of my kind does, but that does not mean I am nice to humans either. You, though, are an exception."

"Why,"

"Kybe has asked me to protect you. I also have the knowledge that no matter what they try, they will never be able to stop us, even if they do thicken their skin to protect them from our blood. It is all over for the humans."

"But there must be a away to prevent from humans to be extinct. Please, you can save me if you please, but I have to save my people too." We began to walk through the halls. I didn't know where he had placed any of the bodies, but the blood on the floors and walls was enough to make me want to vomit.

"Even after what hey have done to you?"

"What do you mean, you have no idea who I am, do you?"

"I know everything. When I healed you, I received all of your memories from your past life. It is a connection that only the healers of my kind have. You grew as an abandoned child, rejected from the world and the social life. Even when you tried to kill yourself, it seemed that no one on your life cared, but you never had the courage to go through with it. Later, you have tried your best to get any type of job, but have been rejected because you did not have a birth certificate or even any proof that you are who you say you are. The world has tormented and made fun of you and yet, you still want to save them?" He was right about my past. I looked down as my moving feet, my chest feeling heavy with the memories coming back.

"That is all in the past now. I just want to save who I can now and then I can be happy." I sighed. He stopped and looked at me. I turned to stare into his eyes to see the thinking that was going through his head.

"I did not expect such words from a human. From what I have experienced so far, your species are very greedy creatures who care about no one but themselves. I can see why Kybe has marked you, even if it was accidentally."

We continued on walking again, turning all sorts of corners. The blood grew less and less each hallway we came to.

"How does your kind mark someone?" I asked.

"Usually, when we grow to have a certain feeling for the one that we meet, we will consciously mark them and let others of our kind know that the mate is taken. Unfortunately, for those who are not exposed to the opposite sex as much as most, we can unconsciously mark them, and begin to feel the feelings after. Thankfully though, once a mate is marked, they can not be accidentally be marked again by someone else."

"Okay, then how does the mate get marked?"

"It can be all sorts of ways. In your case, just a simple mouth to mouth touch did the trick."

I blushed a little.

"But we never kissed,"

"No, not on purpose. From the memory that I have received from him, it was after you both jumped into the toxic river. We learned how to do CPR, and he used it on you, having to blow hair into your lungs. That is the moment that you had gotten marked."

My blush grew darker, but he hadn't noticed when we finally reached a door. It was cracked open with blood pooling out from the crack to the hall. Jackal lightly pushed the door open to reveal the horror that was inside of the room.