Reader X 2B

The world was empty. No, not empty entirely. Just a few pitiful scraps of humanity, which I am part of is left behind. The sea of sand stretched as far as I can see before me, and on the looming horizon was a cluster of white, which I assumed was the city ruins we were looking for.

"2B, can you see it?" I asked, holding up a pair of binoculars.

"Yes, I can see it master." 2B responded.

"Hurry then. Let's see if we can get their before sunset."

***

We barely made it to the outskirts of the city ruins by the time the sun was down. A hasty campfire was set up, as the cold night air settled down around us. After a day of walking, my leg were just killing me, so at the first moment of break, I threw off my boots and stretched out myself on a concreate block.

"Master, I see your legs are sore." 2B stared at me, face emotionless.

"Yeah, they are." I winced, as I stretched.

"Please wait for a moment, master." 2B said, as she walked out of sight for a moment. And a few minutes later, she returned with a bucket full of water.

"2B? What are you doing?" I said with a hint of curiosity.

"Wait master." 2B said, as I curious watch her carefully place the pot over the campfire.

Silence.

Birds chirped, insect creaked, but not a sound from 2B. And just I thought 2B went statue mode again, she spoke up:

"It is done." She held up the bucket and placed it in front of my feet.

"This is..." I eyed the bucket.

"Master, your feet." 2B said, as she knelt down.

"Oh...oh ok." I extended my foot and dipped it on the surface of the hot water, causing my foot to dart away like a dart away like a retreating viper.

"It's too hot!" I yelled.

"Yes. I haven't told master to put the foot in the bucket. Here, sit still." 2B said patiently, as she produced a cloth out of nowhere, dipped it in the bucket and washed my feet with it.

The sore of the day was melted in an instant from the sensation of the warm wet cloth, and for a moment I saw heaven...

"You can put your feet in the bucket now." 2B said with a monotone voice.

I simply did as told, as I let the hot water embrace my feet, washing away the last of my ache of walking...

"Master, you're crying." 2B said, starting up at me. Well, I can't see her eyes due to the blindfold of course...

"No way..." I wiped my own eyes, and sure enough, my fingers felt something wet.

"It must be the sand..." I stared up at the sky.

"I don't understand." 2B said, as she continued to wash my feet.

"Understand...what?" I chocked back a sob.

"Why do humans cry?"

"I don't know...it's just part of emotions."

"Emotions huh..." 2B paused.

"What's wrong 2B?" I said, finding my eyes dry at this point.

"Master." She put the cloth aside, and stood up to my height.

"What is it?" I raised my brows.

Without warning, she leaned into me and gave me a hug.

"Master, you once said, emotions is what makes human, human."

"Yes!?" I said, voice panicking, as this has never happened to me before.

"I am starting to want to become human too..."

"2B..."

For a long time, neither for us said anything, as we remained in an embracing position. And for once, words wasn't needed.

GOOD END