Intermission: Uncle Sam's Obit - The Best Uncle in the world

Uncle Sam's Obituary

Samuel Banks (77) founded Banks Baits, a renowned bait & tackle shop as well as a local restaurant and bar in Clark Lake, Michigan, known for hundreds of miles from its epicenter as "baits you can bank on".  He grew up along the inconsistent borders of Russia and attended Yeshiva until escaping WWII, first immigrating to Shanghai where he started making hand-crafted fishing lures.  Years later, he moved to Jackson, Michigan, where he established Banks Baits.  Sam was known for putting a smile on every face he encountered, for his skills at bartending, not so much for the drinks but for the listening skills and ability to simply hold space for people going through tough times sitting on the other side of the bar. His dedication to customer service kept his business thriving through one downturn after another, allowing him to officially retire before he was 50.  But he never did retire.  Sam continued to work the bar, listening, and giving others a leg up with a supportive phrase, soliloquy, or story, or oftentimes with a loan or an investment in a neighbor's dreams. He served on the board of the International Fishing Lure Society and indeed, had one of the largest fishing lure collections in the world.  In 2012, Sam sold his restaurant and bar division to the Pointe Bar & Grill in Jackson, MI on Clark Lake.  Mr. Banks was a big supporter of the local community on Clark Lake, hosting and/or sponsoring Boat-0-Rama to benefit the Clark Lake Foundation.  Samuel Banks traveled the world, attending twelve fishing lure conventions on behalf of the Fishing Lure Society.  He fished every Sunday, rain or shine, ice or glass on the water. He called it his "meditation time." His most recent venture was angel investing and sitting on the board of his niece's company Lights Out Enterprises.  The people of Jackson and Clark Lake know him for his wit and sense of humor and the fact that he could recite every lyric of every song ever sung by his favorite singer Maurice LeSarde. Perhaps Samuel Banks though is best known for his trademark whistle. People knew from his sharp familiar tunes when he was just around the corner and they'd wait to say hello to the silver-haired man who was sure to bring a smile their way. He is survived by his brother Walter and sister-in-law Eleanor Banks, nephew Daniel and wife Rebecca Banks, their children Andy and Keating, and by his beloved niece Madison Banks.  Alas, this Samuel Banks is most noted as the beloved Uncle Sam character in the trilogy of comedy novels The Funeral Planner by Lynn Isenberg.  Samuel Banks funeral was held at Dignity Memorial R. Wright Funeral Home in Clark Lake, Michigan, followed by a unique end of life celebration on Clark Lake.

----------------------------------

BEHIND THE CHAPTER:

How would you describe Uncle Sam?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

We hope you enjoyed this chapter of The Funeral Planner!  We will be posting a chapter every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you just can't wait to read the latest episode about Maddy, Eve and Sierra and their entrepreneurial adventures The Funeral Planner Trilogy is available online at the usual suspects (Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Sony). Also check out LynnIsenberg.com for more information.