❤Chapter Twenty Two❤

Chapter Twenty Two.

Naomi P.O.V

Four weeks later..

Little white snow flakes began to fall from the sky, as I waited for Leroy to grab something from his room. The weather had been oddly weird--a couple weeks ago, it was just raining, now it's snowing. I can never really complain about the snow, though. Snow was my happiness, another escape, besides my books. When I was little, my mom and I would fall to the ground, our backs cold from the snow, and make snow angels.

The snow was also a reminder that my birthday was coming very soon. Birthdays once upon a time were actually a happy time for me, until my mother died. My father had ruined all hopes of me having a true 'happy' birthday. After my mother died, I spent my birthdays somewhere crying. I didn't want to be around people. My grandma always offered to take me places.

"You need to get out. You can't stay in here crying all day." She'd say, giving me her concerned look. I'd force a smile, wipe my tears, and tell her that I would be okay. Being alone was good for me. I can think a little more.

"Sometimes we over-think, Naomi." She'd reply. I would only frown and look away. I didn't want to talk, or be around anyone. I just wanted to be left, alone. I never changed.

On my birthday, I stayed away from everyone. The fact that Leroy wanted to spend time with me on that day, made me sad. I didn't want him to see my weak side, ever. But, I also didn't want to hurt his feelings. I couldn't hurt his feelings.

A gust of wind blows, causing me to shiver. I zip up my light purple coat and hug myself, trying to keep warm. Glancing back at the door, I sigh. "Leroy, come on." I mutter, sinking to my knees.

Across the street next to a dumpster, I see a tall man in black clothes looking in my direction. He had on black ski mask, only his green eyes showing. I squint just to make sure I'm not seeing things, I'm not. I look behind me to see what he's looking at, but see nothing. I turn back to him and gasp--he'd disappeared.

I stood to my feet and looked around. I stood on my tippy toes to see if he was behind the dumpster but still, I saw no one.

Maybe you're just seeing things. I think to myself.

Just then, Leroy comes out the door, giving me an apology before we walk back to his blue car.

When I get in the car, I lean against the seat and sigh. Glancing at Leroy, I smile. He had on gray sweat pants, a leather jacket with a black shirt underneath, and a black beanie. Gosh he could make almost anything look adorable. He turns and smiles at me, starting the engine. I rub my hands together, which now feel as if I'd left them in a freezer for an hour.

I blow my hot breath onto my hands before finally snapping my seat belt on.

Leroy drives, turning on the music, but I don't pay attention to the song. I just wasn't in the mood. For the past few weeks it'd been an absolute struggle for me to get to work. It took entirely too long for Leroy to wake me up in the morning.

"Muffin, you have to work. Come on." Is what I heard every morning. Usually I'm the one waking Leroy--now it's me who needs waking.

When I finally do wake up, I'd sit on the end of the couch, frowning. My head would be in the palms of my hands. I hadn't been sleeping well, but that's natural. I can usually deal with it and start the day--all of sudden things are hard for me now. What makes it all worse is that I'm making Leroy pay for it.

"Sorry." I mutter.

"For what?" Leroy says, turning the music down.

"You shouldn't have to wake me up in the morning."