❤Chapter Ten❤

Chapter Ten

Leroy P.O.V

For the past few months, Naomi and I would go to Daisy's field every Sunday after church, and have a picnic. Naomi would always bring a smile to my face. After a while, Sundays became my favorite day of the week. Not only because I got to go to church, but because I got to see Naomi and spend time with her. I haven't been to work in a while now, boss still has everyone on vacation with pay. A knock on my door pulls me out of my thoughts. I slowly rise off of my couch, walking to the door. When I open it, Lacie, my neighbor, is standing there. She has a cupcake in one hand and a cup of milk in the other. She has on a black tank top with brown sweats and a hoodie. She has on bunny slippers and her long brown hair is in a high ponytail. She looks at me, blushing slightly. I began to think to myself if Lacie has a crush on me. This was her fifth visit since she found out Ruth and I broke up. It's not that she's not attractive or anything, but she's not really my type of woman. She smiles at me, her bright brown eyes filled with excitement. "May I come in?" She asks. I hesitate for a moment. This was definitely weird. She has never asked to come in my house before. I don't want to be rude and tell her no. I nod hesitantly, stepping back so she could come in. I shut the door, already regretting letting her in. She smiles. "Wow! What a nice place you have here!" She walks over to the marble table, setting the cupcake and glass of milk down. She walks over to the couch, sitting down. She looks at me, patting the spot next to her. "Come on! Sit next to me." I slowly walk over and sit next to her, feeling awkward. "So, Lacie. Why are you-" "You have a flat screen TV? I love flat screen TVs!" She says, cutting me off. Yes, this was very awkward. I swallow and look away. "So Leroy, who's the girl that comes over here sometimes?" She asks. I look at her, her eyes focused on me. "Naomi, why do you ask?" She nods. "Is she your girlfriend?" She asks, ignoring my question. She's being rather nosy. "No, she's not. Why do you ask?" "Well, I was just wondering. So, how about the weather? Do you like the weather?" She asks, changing the subject. I decide to go along. "Yes, the weather is nice. Although, I can't wait until it gets cold." "Ew! Cold? I hate the cold!" She says, hyper. Now that I think of it, she has been hyper since she first walked in. "I love the cold." I say. She shakes her head. "Did you have coffee, or an energy drink?" "No! Why? Oh wait! I had Monster this morning! Why?" "You're very hyper, than usual." She frowns. "I'm sorry, do you want me to leave?" "Ah, well I do have some things I have to get done today. Maybe we could chat another-" "I knew it!" She yelled, her face getting red. "I knew you would do this to me!" I look at her. "Do what?!" "I knew you would invite me over and then kick me out five minutes later! This wouldn't be lurid, though!" "What's that supposed to mean?" She stands, up. "It means you naturally break woman's hearts! It's the type of guy you are!" "Lacie, I don't understand! Where is this coming from?" "I like you! I like you a lot! But you don't seem to notice that. You never noticed that! I liked you, when you first moved in. I couldn't have you, though. You were taken. I respected that and stayed away. Then I find out that you are single again and I get hope. I visit a lot more, hoping you'd feel the same way! But as I can see, you don't, not that that Naomi chick has come!" She shakes her head, tears in her eyes. "Lacie." I say, feeling terrible. There was nothing I could do, if I didn't have feelings for her, I couldn't help it. She wiped her eyes and looked at me. "Lacie, I'm sorry. I never knew you felt that way about me. I don't know what to do. I think I like-" "I know you like her." "Please don't be mad. I don't want conflict between us." She takes a deep breath, and nods. "It's okay. I will get over it." She walks towards the door and mutters something. "Naomi, you're a lucky, lucky girl." She opens the door, shutting it. Well that definitely went downhill. I didn't deny that I had feelings for Naomi, I do. I'm not going to tell her that, I know she only sees me as a friend. 

I am disturbed by my phone ringing. I answer. "Hello?" I say. "Hi dear!" My mom says, happily. "Hi mom! How are you?" "Great, my belly is getting quite big." She says, chuckling. I hear another chuckle and I immediately know, it's Naomi. "Are you guys gardening again?" "Yes! Naomi made a surprise visit with some sunflower seeds! The best thing ever!" I smile. "That's great mom. Can I speak to her?" She giggles. "Sure! Here Naomi, Leroy wants to speak to you." Naomi says okay, giggling too. "Hi dear!" She says, repeating my mom. I laugh. "Hi Nay! How are you?" "Good, just gardening with your mom. How have you been?" I contemplate on telling her about Lacie. "I've been good, until this morning. You know my neighbor, Lacie?" I say. "Yes, the one with the bright brown eyes." "Yeah. She came over this morning, very hyper. She said a few random things before asking if she should leave, after my comment about her being hyper. She got angry, because I wanted her to leave so I could get some things done and that's when everything came out. She told me that she had had a crush on me since I first moved here. Once she found out Ruth and I broke up, she had hope that we could get together. She called me blind because I never noticed how she felt. She said a mouthful. I felt bad after it all." Naomi is quiet for a moment, and then speaks. "Wow, Leroy. I'm sorry. Don't feel bad, you didn't know she liked you. You can't help it if you don't feel the same way, towards her." "I know, she said she'd get over it." "Good, no need to stay upset. I'm sure she'll find another guy." I nod, even though she can't see me. Naomi and I had been telling each other almost everything every time we saw or called each other. She was becoming like a best friend to me. We spoke on the phone for an hour and then she had to go. "I'll text you later, dear." She said, giggling. I sigh. "Alright honey. I'll be waiting." She giggled again before hanging up. After she hangs up, I go upstairs and take a shower.