❤Chapter Seventeen❤

Chapter Seventeen

Naomi P.O.V

I hated the smell of hospitals. It smelled of people, blood, death, antiseptics. Goodness, I hated hospitals period. I'd visited them a lot, when I was younger. I don't believe I could ever go a full month, with out coming here. My mom constantly have to bring me, because I'd have an 'accident' down the stairs or something like that. It wasn't that I hated the doctors, I don't. I hate needles, blood, anything that deals with both subjects. There was this day, where this nurse and I became friends. She had the best sense of humor, never went a visit without giggling. Other than my mom, she was my best friend. I never said goodbye to her. She wasn't on my mind, when I left Florida. I was hoping that I could leave Florida and hopefully forget everything that'd happened there. Never happened. 

I walk past a room where a woman is groaning loudly in pain and shouting for the doctors to come. Another room I walk past, there's another woman crying, her sandy hair in a bun, her face puffy and red. She wipes a few tears away and manages to slide the corners of her mouth into a smile, before I continue walking. I said a small prayer for her, hoping things would be okay. Cries in a hospital usually meant one thing, death or loss. Both were usually terrible. I remember, how painful it was. Rushing up the stairs and seeing the doctors work on my mom. They said it was nothing they could do, she was gone.. There was once a time, I'd blamed the doctors for her death, but then the blame really goes to my father. He was the one who killed her, ended her life before it was time. It was his fault. It would always be his fault.

Leroy slides his hand into mines, as we walk into room 34. The room Marylin was in. We would either walk in here and find her happy and relieved; or sad and depressed. We both take a deep breath, before pushing the door open. Marylin is sitting up in the hospital bed reading a magazine, her red hair tied in a messy bun, her brown eyes focused on the article. She looks up and smiles when she sees us, setting the magazine down. As we approach her, I notice there are dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep. I smile lightly, sitting in the chair across from her. Leroy runs and wraps his arms around her, asking if she's okay. 

"I'm fine. The baby is too." She says, smiling. He smiles back, nodding. "That's great! Where's dad?" Leroy asks.

"He went home for a moment, he should be back shortly." She says, yawning. We nod. 

"How are you feeling, Naomi?" She asks. Hmm. I don't know how I'm feeling at this moment. I run my fingers through my curls, forcing a smile. "Alright. How are you feeling?" 

"Fine." 

"So, what happened?" I ask. "I have no idea. Maybe I ate something bad? I'm not sure, not even the doctors are." 

"You ate out?"

"I did. I went to this Chinese restaurant. I've never eaten there before. I'm not sure if it was something they cooked me or not. I had fish and rice." 

I nod. "It could have been. How's Darren?"

"Alright. He's been worried sick about me."

I nod, understanding. Another scream echos from the hallways causing me to flinch. Ugh. This place reminded me of a horror movie more than a hospital. Marylin must have noticed because she commented that she couldn't sleep because of all of the screams. "What's going on?" I ask. 

"I haven't any idea. They've been going on all day." She shakes her head. I nod, licking my lips and noticing that they are dangerously dry.. Very dry. "Do you have any Carmex?" I ask. Leroy digs in the pocket of his jeans and smiles, tossing the tube over to me. "You're a lifesaver." I say, squeezing the tube onto my finger.