Chapter 15

Three hours later and I was laying in a hard, hospital bed. The sheets were soft but the mattress seemed like it was a million years old. It was like I was laying on bricks, not a bed. And, to make it worse, everything was white. A room like pristine pearls, glinting in the sunlight.

I had told them I was fine. It was nothing that we needed to worry about. I had felt a lot worse before and was fine through that. But, they ignored me. They said that they needed to just check. That I would be out soon. That I am probably right but they needed to be sure. So, I was left in this room with only my own thoughts to keep me company. No one but the nurses had been in to see how I was, not even my father. I wasn't going to be able to speak with him for a while yet because, apparently, he was sorting things out back at the institution. I wasn't sure if he actually was or whether he was avoiding me. But, that did mean that I would have to wait even longer to ask about meeting Jenna. I suppose that could, at a push, be counted as a good thing, if you wanted it to be. It meant that I had some time to work out what I was planning on saying.

I sighed. Being alone was really annoying. I grabbed the remote and switched on the TV. I already knew that there wouldn't be any decent channels on here so I instantly turned onto the news. Bad idea. I regretted it the second my finger pressed the button. There we were, on headline news. The reporter was stood in front of the school and kept glancing backwards. He appeared to be looking for someone to interview. He didn't realise he was live as, suddenly, he looked at the camera, gasped and began speaking.

"Earlier on today, the most prestigious military school in the continent, caught flames." I blanked out after that. There were pictures and videos that civilians had captured whilst the school had been burning. There were also numbers showing up of the injuries that it had caused. I stayed watching, even if I couldn't hear it anymore. I guess it was probably because I half expected to see me on there. But, I never came into shot. It must have been because they wanted to keep it a secret that one of the strongest soldiers had been sent to a hospital because they were saving some idiot's life. To be honest, I was kind of glad that they did. All I wanted now, was to get out of this blasted place. I was fine but no one would listen to me. Even the higher ups wouldn't, I already knew it. I would be fine with time, they had said. That time had been and gone. There was one other thing that I knew was that I had saved a life today.

I had saved a life.

That was the last thought in my mind before I fell into a restless sleep. Many times, I woke up. None of the times had any apparent reason for it but my mind decided to wake up. Sometimes it didn't fully wake me up but made me toss and turn until I did by accident.

"Cassi." I groaned. "Cassi. Get up." I moaned. I didn't want to get up. I had finally had a deep sleep and he was waking me from it. "Up! Now!" I jolted and my eyes shot open. My dad was sat next to my side. I had been her for a couple of days now. A couple of days. I didn't need to be here. I was one hundred percent ready to leave. And, in the couple of days I've been here, no one had come to see me. "There we go. Medication time poppet." I groaned but took the pills that he held out anyway. Again, I didn't need them but he refused to let me stop taking them. They stuck and got caught in the back of my throat, leaving a foul aftertaste. I gagged and downed the entire glass of water to try and clear the taste from my tongue. "You wanted to talk to me. About... Jenna." He paused before saying her name as if he was scared to even mention her. "You want to ask to go and see her, don't you?" He said before I had time to speak. I nodded slowly, unsure whether speaking was a good idea. If he said no then it would kill me. But, I knew it was almost certain that he would. I think there was probably a one in one hundred chance he would say that I could. The odds were not in my favour. "Well. Ugh, Cassi." He was so awkward that I already knew that that one odd, had gone. "I know that you want to go and see her but I don't want to lose you." I had guessed that this might be part of his response. As a dad, this was poor behaviour. This was when he was only thinking about him and not about me as well. It upset me, to say the least.

"You're not going to lose me, Dad. All I want is to see my sister again. I want to know when I can tell Mitch, Cadet Grassi to you, that I am who I am. That I'm his sister. That he still has his twin. That I still think of him and know about him. And seeing Jenna is the first step in that. She can help me to do that in an awesome way. In a way that makes us all happy. Dad, I could be called up to fight, I could be sent away, I could be killed at any moment and I want to see them all first. I want to see them and talk to them and hug them and be their sister again. You're still my dad and you always will be but," I felt burning tears running down my cheeks and sighed. No wasn't the time for crying. "they're still my family as well. What's so bad about wanting to see them? It's not like I can just go back to them. I'm legally your daughter so I have no way to do anything like that without your permission. Not for another three years, Dad. You've got to admit that I'm not going to be that sweet eleven-year-old that knew almost nothing and was oblivious anymore. Face it. It's harsh but you've got to face it. I know more about this than you think. Being able to be with her would be a dream come true, literally. You've got to at least consider it, Dad. Please. For me. Please." I looked him straight in the eyes but he couldn't hold my stare. He looked down at the floor. I had no answer. "Dad?" He looked up but avoided, once again, from looked directly at me.

I flipped. I got mad.

Hope you enjoyed it! Drama is going down for the Lunkorcs and boy is it amusing to write XD

Rhis xx