Chapter 2

Two uploads in one! Get me! By the way, this story isn't going to be a regular upload thing mostly because I am lazy lol. So yeah, don't necessarily expect uploads every week etc. There will be a couple regular as I have a lot of the story already written.

Well, here's this chapter for you all lovely lot. Enjoy!

Mitch's POV

"Mum? Why do I have to go?"

"Because I told you to! Now, have you finished packing?"

"Yes." I rolled my eyes.

"Right then. Lets go pick up Scott and Kirstie." She marched out the door. I sighed and quickly followed. Why were our parents making us do this? I didn't want to go to some military school. It was pointless. I wanted a career in musical theatre not in the military. But I was still being made to go. I sat down in the car and we started the two second drive to Kirstie's house. She was already waiting at the door.

"Hop in Kit-Kat." I yelled through my open window. After, chucking her bags into the back, she sat down next to me, giggling slightly.

We had arrived. We had picked up Scott, driven through endless city rush-hour traffic and arrived at the institution. There was a soldier standing there, motionless. If you hadn't seen him look around for a second, you would have thought he was a statue.

"Go straight ahead and then follow the signs." He sounded like he had said that a million times already. His voice was flat and had no emotion. We followed his directions and then the signs saying 'New Cadets' as directed. There were at least thirty other cars parked there. We all looked at each other. We hadn't known there was gonna be this many people. I was so glad when I found out that the other two's parents had done as mine had. I most certainly didn't want to do this alone. No doubt they came up with this idea together in the first place. We grabbed our bags and waved goodbye to my Mum. Heading into a long corridor, filled with other cadets, all, presumably, other first years.

Ten minutes later and the group had been separated. We followed a tall man, with very little hair. Luckily, Scott and Kirstie had also been told to follow him. We were led into a room with exactly the correct number of chairs lined up in a row, stretching from one side to the other. We sat down as a trio. 

"Right, Cadets. Welcome. I'm your cadet master, Soldier Rothman and this is Soldier Lunkorc." At the sound of her name the girl in corner straightened up, none of us had even noticed that she was there. "From now on, cadets, you will not be called by your first names. Is that clear?" We nodded. "I don't care if your name is Jeff or Barry or Scott, you will not be called that. For example, Soldier Lunkorc here is called Cassi but you'll never here me say that." I looked over at the tall girl. She mustn't be much older then we are. We had been told that you can't start until fifteen so how had someone got the title Soldier, so young? I wanted to make eye contact, to break her, but her eyes were blank and empty.

Cassi's POV

The cadets were appalling. I had never seen worse than them. Their uniform was all over the place, they were being completely disrespectful and they were not paying attention. I noticed yet another gentleman take a glance at his phone. I couldn't take it. I strode up to him, ripped the device from his hands and went to hand it to the master. He took one look at it and put it in his pocket. I could see the look of disgust on the boy's face. I smiled inwardly, that would teach him.

"Now, Soldier Lunkorc." 

I spun into position. "Yes sir."

"Lunkorc will teach you the proper formalities whilst I go and deal with something. Lunkorc, you may drop position." He left the room. I knew exactly what he meant. Last year he made me do this as well but whilst he was in the room. But that was only because I was training to train other cadets, he wasn't allowed to leave me with the cadets. But, I had heard him talking into his radio. I relaxed slightly: Let my shoulders sag slightly, acted more like a real person instead of a soldier. Not that soldiers aren't real people, it just seems like sometimes we act like robots. I have been called a statue many times before whilst in position.

"Right, Cadets!" I got the desired effect when they all jumped. "Stand up!" They were all very fast at obeying orders from me. But then, I expect nothing less.

I marched up and down the line. "You look disgraceful. Stand up straight; chin up; feet together; hands by your side. Now don't move from that position." I couldn't help but notice a few cadets unable to stand still. One of those cadets was Scott Hoying, also known as my brother's best friend. "I said still, cadets!" They immediately stiffened.

"Good, now this is our position. You may drop positions." They did, many of them sitting back down. I let my voice soften slightly, I didn't want to lose my voice. That wouldn't be good, a cadet master that can't talk isn't a very good one. I wasn't known for being able to keep a sharp voice for very long. "Now, that was good but you haven't finished yet. If someone of a higher rank, for example myself or the Master, was to address you, you're not going to just do that." I snapped back into position, this time saluting. "Say I'm taking an order from the Captain. I would be stood like this until he has finished. For example, Cadet Smith, stand." He did exactly what I told him. "Well, done." Every time I spoke an order, my voice went hard and cold. I could feel it fading already. It killed my throat. I noticed Smith still standing. "Drop position cadet." He sat back down. I took a deep breath in order to maintain control. "Now, when the Cadet master returns you will remember that and you will not let me down." Speaking of, where was the Master? I felt my radio buzz.

"Lunkorc, I will be another ten minutes or so. Please take them through the timetable." I sighed. Great. I had no idea how I was meant to keep this up. I turned and carried on teaching. The timetable was as follows:

06:00 Training

09:00 Breakfast

09:30 Training

13:00 Lunch

14:00 School lessons. (Maths, English, Science)

17:00 Dinner

18:00 Lectures

20:00 Free time

21:00 Lights out and Bed

I went through and told them everything. But when it came to lights out, there was a complete uproar.

"We're fifteen!"

"That's a bedtime for a child!"

"Why can't it be later?"

"Cadets!" I screamed. They all fell silent. "You will not complain when you have to get up at six. You work non-stop for fifteen hours. Believe me when I say you'll be wanting to sleep during free time." I noticed the cadet master looking in through the glass in the door. I nodded to him, signalling that I had done. He did the same. All the time, I had to keep talking explaining the training patterns and structure. He suddenly threw open the doors. I jumped up and snapped into position. Were the cadets going to follow? Half of them were instantly correct, the others were just a few seconds after. I inwardly sighed. The master walked up to the front and began inspecting them. He got up right close to their faces, stared them in the eyes, stood back and looked at them. I knew what he was looking for: Arms straight, legs together, hand perfectly flat, everything I had shown them. Once he had finished, he nodded and came and stood in front of me. He saluted and I did the same in return. Returning to the corner, I sat back down. I had no need to be up anymore. I would only be needed after lunch.

I looked at my watch. It was one. We should be leaving for lunch. Why hadn't the bell gone? Then I remembered, the Captain had said that the bells hadn't been set for this year yet. They had changed the timings slightly this year after students not being able to cope with lunch at three. The cadet master obviously hadn't realised what the time was. I cleared my throat. You could get into serious trouble for interrupting somebody but this was a case of eating. He didn't hear but carried on talking. I stood up and walked quietly over and told him. "Sir. It's one o'clock."

"Thank you." He turned to the cadets.