Chapter 11

"Positions for three everyone!" Three minutes to get everyone how and where they should be; that wasn't too hard. Or so I thought. Apparently, the Cadets in the other quarters were incapable of getting in line and staying there. I tried to stay out of their way but after watching Jay struggle with a group for a lot longer than he should have, I couldn't help but intervene. I marched up to his side and shouted, "Into your positions immediately before you embarrass the entire military! Do you realise the punishment for that? Anyone not paying proper attention could be very severely punished once we get back to the institution. Go, Cadets!" The last two words were screamed and the threat of a punishment, which was impossible to get, seemed to get the Cadets moving a lot quicker. They were so gullible, it was amusing. Occasionally, and by that I mean quite often, I forget that I am the same age, if not younger, than most of them because they fall for everything and never behave. To me, as a fully fledged soldier, it seems completely unreasonable to be anything but perfect with things like this. Especially at an event like this where loads of people were watching us.

"Thanks, babe." Jay whispered in my ear. His lips kissed my ear gently. He then stood up straight, into a salute and said, "Thank you, Soldier Lunkorc." I smiled and saluted back. As we were in public, we couldn't get away with being all cute and loving as we had to uphold a lot and to do that, we had to act like respectful soldiers and not boyfriend and girlfriend. The church clock ticked past the two-minute mark. Damn it. I had to get into position quickly. I just about ran to the front and fell in line with my father.

"Sorry. I had to help Soldier Salons, sir." The General said nothing but nodded and looked straight ahead. I followed his gaze and found my eyes locking onto a building in the far distance. I looked up, just above people's heads. There was a crowd surrounding us now. They were every side apart from a small walkway directly in front of us.

"Soldiers. Into step." The General shouted.

"One. Two." I shouted straight after. He was leading the procession with me at his side. Everyone had to listen to him, no matter what. We all followed his command and had to fall into step with him. Right. Left. Right. Left. Over and over again. Ten minutes. Half an hour. An hour. An hour spent marching around the city. By the end of it, actually it was closer to half way through, I was bored out of my mind. I seriously couldn't wait to get back to training. This procession was always a waste of time, I don't know why they bother with them. Actually, I do know why but it doesn't work. They do it to recruit new people but no one ever joins unless they're forced to. Some people are forced to by their parents, others because schools won't take them for whatever reason. Very few people were asked by the institution because of their abilities in sports, then there was even less that came here of their own accord. I wouldn't have ever imagined that I would come to somewhere like this but, now I'm here, I wouldn't ever want to leave.  There was something about this community that came with being a soldier, that just made staying a really nice idea. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to not be here. I smiled when I realised that we had already marched back to school. Thank god that event was finally over. But, now I had the problem of Jenna. No, that sounded bad. I meant, I had to talk about Jenna which would be a problem. That was one thing I didn't want to discuss. I did not want to see my Dad like that. I made my mind up, there and then, that I would go and speak to him later on when he would be in his office. That way, other people would think that it was official business instead of personal. He wouldn't have to worry about other people seeing him that way so he would be more likely to agree.

I hesitated, unsure of what I was meant to be doing now. Well, the first thing I should be doing would be to take the cadets back to whatever they were meant to be doing now. Unfortunately, I didn't have my watch on so I had needed to find out the time another way. Without the time I couldn't tell what they were meant to be doing.

"It's 12:55," Mitch said, smirking. I looked over at him, slightly surprised. Jeez, could he read my mind or something? Did we have twin telepathy or something strange like that? Even after five years?

I laughed, amused at my reaction. "Thanks, Mitch. Five minutes until lunch. Might as well go down now. " I called him Mitch. I broke the biggest rule for masters, never call someone by their first name but by their surname. Oh well. It was just us four there so it didn't really matter too much. I heard our stomachs growl in unison as a sort of reply to my thought and we all burst into fits of laughter.

"Yup. Let's get going." Scott replied. The canteen wasn't too far away so we meandered our way there, talking about random things. It was empty other than a few top ranking soldiers sat around a far table. One turned around as he heard our footsteps ad shot us a questioning glare. We weren't meant to be in there but it wasn't like they were allowed to be there either, no one was. I nodded at him, smiling a little too sweetly and headed to the counter.

"Hello, Cassi." The lady laughed. She was the nicest person, I think possibly ever. Every time I came, I was greeted with a huge smile.

Sorry that this has taken so long to upload. I'm really losing the will to write at the moment. Mainly because I haven't got enough ideas, especially for this story.