Chapter 7

"My little girl wouldn't have been able to do that last year. Come on, let's get it checked. Broken?" I nodded, the pain too much to speak through. He chuckled and lifted me onto his back. I put my head on his shoulder. We walked back past the, almost, empty compound. There were only two people there, the Captain and Jay.
The latter of the two ran up as soon as he saw us. "Cassi. Please listen to me, Cas."
He was swiftly cut off by the Captain, "Salons. She's in pain. Leave her to go to the infirmary. Broken ankle by the look of it." He turned to my dad, "Would I be correct, sir?" He nodded in reply but didn't speak. "Did she sort it herself?"
"Yes. Sorted it and then walked over to me. But I can't see my own daughter in that much pain for too long. You should understand." It was true, the Captain did understand. He had a son who also was a soldier. He had been really badly injured in a fight a couple of years ago and had been left paralysed. I felt the temperature suddenly drop and the pain shoot through my ankle once more. This time, the pain was too much and I fell into a pit of darkness. As everything went black, I heard the Captain mutter, "He's turning soft." Then I lost consciousness.

Mitch's POV

I heard the, now, familiar sound of the morning alarm ring through the dorm. I didn't need to be awake yet, for some reason I couldn't figure out, I couldn't sleep. I had experienced major nightmares that woke me in a cold sweat, only grabbing very restless sleeps in between. I sat up, trying not to smack my head on the bunk above me. The beds had only just enough room to sit with a slight hunch. I looked over to the other bunk in our room, Scott was still fast asleep after spending half the night calming me down. Our other room mate, Harry Styles, had already gone, obviously getting ready for the day's training. He hadn't come to the meeting so still had to get up at the normal time. I rubbed my eyes wearily and glanced over at the clock balanced on top of the door. I had gotten back to the dorm at 11pm and it was now 5am. If you included the lack of approximately three hours of nightmares waking me up, I got around three hours of sleep. That wasn't enough because even that sleep wasn't proper sleep. But for some bazaar cause, I couldn't get back to sleep. There was no point even trying to get back into dream land. I didn't think I even wanted to. I decided to get up and go to training with everyone else. I pulled myself from under the covers and walked groggily to my uniform. Every move was slow and drawn out, my mind was such a blur I wasn't even aware of what I was doing.
'I've gone to training already. Couldn't sleep. Love you. M x' I scribbled on a spare scrap of paper on the desk and walked out the door.
The walk down the corridors was quiet and allowed me time to gather my thoughts. There was no one there I knew so I just kept my head down. Every one was probably busy doing, whatever they were doing, training or teaching or something like that. I didn't quite know exactly how to get to my destination but eventually, I found my way to the training grounds.
The cadet master came up to me as I jumped the swing gate, "Good Morning. I'm surprised to see you up already. Well, if you want to train, good on ya and get going." I ran off, grateful for the short, one-sided conversation. Too much of a prolonged interaction with a guy like that would have been off the awkward scale. The rest of our quarter of cadets were running the 10 mile track. As for the other quarters, no one ever knew what they were doing, it almost felt as if they didn't exist. I caught up in no time.
"Oi! Why were you late Mitch?" One of the other guys, Alfie Deyes, turned as ran so that he could talk to me easier and fell flat straight on his face.
I tried desperately to not laugh, "You OK?" I helped him up And he brushed himself off before carrying on running. He soon slowed and fell behind me. Unexpectedly, I found myself reaching the front of the group. Before I came here, I never imagined that I would be, or could be even, so fit. I hated sports, it always messed up my appearance and made me feel sick. But, somehow, this just worked despite my wants to go into a different occupation.

I ran and ran and ran and ran for what felt like hours on end, in reality, it wasn't quite that long. After breakfast and Scott had joined us, we climbed and did various roleplay and teamwork exercises. Going through a simulation of the trenches and no man's land. Practiced every move until they were perfect, until we could pull them off without even thinking about our actions. I worked like never before, other than in choir obviously. My mind was nowhere but the task at hand and I soon was flying ahead. I was so focused that I hadn't even noticed that we hadn't gone to our normal lessons. That day we had Spanish which Soldier Lunkorc but no one had realised that she hadn't turned up and we hadn't gone. But, apparently, the cadet masted hadn't either. I saw the tall, muscular figure of the General walking towards the compound, across the destroyed grass and shattered fences.

*||>,<||*
Hey hey hey! I want to know what you're thinking of this. This is the first main PTX fix I've written and have enjoyed writing but I don't want it to become too strung out so any suggestions as to plot ideas, baring in mind I already know the ending and how that's going to go. Anything would be AMAZING! Thanks for reading this, you have no idea how much it means to me.
Love ya! FA <3