Chapter 14

There was a bit of a muddle up with the last chapter and whether it was number 14 or 13 so... I'm sorry about that and any spam you got but these things happen. Anyway, this is chapter 14. Have fun!

It took too long. I knew it did. But I did it. I reached the light and the fresh air. I leant on the door frame, trying to fill my lungs with as much freezing air as possible. It was an amazing feeling. That was until the door frame collapsed and the sea of fire licked at my ankles once more. I fell flat on my face, mouth filling with the grass and the dirt underneath. The feeling of the air didn't reach my lungs in time and I was breathing in the dirt and dew from the grass. There was a scream just loud enough to be heard. I pushed myself up once more and began to run. I gulped in the cold air and felt it burning inside my lungs. It was cold but at least it was fresh. It burned inside me and made me shiver all over. I heard shouts as I emerged further and further away from the burning building. I couldn't distinguish one from another, they all blended in with another. With the crackling and popping and banging from the fire and things falling all around of me; the shouts and screams of everyone who had managed to get away; the ringing in my ears; the constant fear chants that ran through my head, they all filled up in a giant mess of nothingness. It swirled around, sweeping up every logical thought that was formed. I could feel everything banging on the sides of my skull. Every smack and crack made my head pound. Especially every time I moved. That made my head shake even more. The grass was slippery and it was impossible to grip whilst sprinting. I knew that the fire wasn't close enough to be a danger anymore but my feet wouldn't stop running. I tried to will myself to slow down but I could never get myself to do it. I really needed to stop. Really needed to. The main reason I needed to slow down was that this happened. The grass was wet. My feet had no grip and I fell, yet again. This time, I had no strength to get up again. I laid on the floor. I just laid there without moving for a long time. I grimaced as many voices suddenly swarmed me. That moment, I had my father, Jay, Mitch, Scott, Kirstie, the Cadet Master and the Captain all around me. They were all trying to help me into a sitting position but I fell instantaneously back to the ground. Eventually, they stopped and just made sure that I was in a safe position and I was kept warm.

"Let's get her to the first aid station." Someone said. I couldn't quite tell who it was. The only thing that I could tell that it was a male voice. Which meant that it wasn't Kirstie but one of the others. There were other noises around. Ones that weren't there before. Sirens. There were sirens. They were sirens coming towards the school. Emergency services were coming. They were, as my memory served me, fire engines. They arrived very quickly and soon figures were running back and forth. They carried hoses and barrels around. I heard a shout and voices respond in unison. That was the signal for water to start and extinguish the roaring flames. The smoke slowly diminished.

"Is anyone injured?" Someone else shouted. This was another voice that I couldn't recognise. It wasn't so much that I couldn't distinguish who the voice was; it was that I hadn't ever heard it before. It must have been someone from the services. But who? The fire service all seemed to be still engaged with the blazing fire. Of course, if something like this happened, the ambulance crew would also be called. That would be who it was. Someone shouted. It was Scott. He was signalling that I was here. I was fine. I didn't need to go anywhere. If they gave me a few more minutes, I would be ready to help other people.

"Don't even think about it." Oh. That wasn't good. The Cadet Master's voice was cold and I knew that this meant no arguing about it. I would have to listen to whatever he said because he was seriously either angry or worried, it was pretty hard to tell the difference. I nodded. "You need to be checked up, ok?" I nodded again. Apparently, he was worried.

I sighed as I mumbled, "I-I'm fine." I stumbled over every syllable. They scoffed and ignored my protests. Just then I heard another gasp. Someone wearing white had run over to us.

Hey! I found my phone! Sorry this is up so late! Anyway, I shall be able to update more now.

Love ya

Rhis xx