Unexplained Power ~not edited~

I have never been part of a stranger group. Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as we descended, held up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius. Bonnie and Dani were in the middle and Harry, Hermione, and I made up the rear.

Getting back into the tunnel was difficult. Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Lupin still had Pettigrew covered with his wand. I could see them edging awkwardly along the tunnel in single file. Crookshanks was still in the lead. Harry went right after Black, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. I had the impression Black was making no effort to prevent this.

I smiled as Harry and Sirius started to whisper to eachother. I didn't go after them, they could have a Godfather and Godson moment. I can't worm myself in...

Instead, I went to Lupin, who I had always been attached to.

"Hello Professor," I smiled, standing next to him.

Pettigrew was still whimpering and Ron stood there awkwardly, probably wishing he could go to Hermione now.

Lupin smiled at me. "Nice Expelliarmus on Professor Snape, Nixie."

"Thanks, I think I was a little overexcited though," I admitted. "However, I can't say I regret it."

"You know," Lupin signed. "When I first saw you I thought you would be just like your mother."

"Because I look like her?" I asked, frowning.

"Thats exactly it," Lupin laughed at my expression. "But your more like your father."

"Who's Harry like?"

"He has your mothers nature." Lupin smiled, then he was serious. "I don't know if anyone told you, Nixie, but I was assigned your Godfather."

I stared at him. "No. No one told me. Not even you."

Lupin's brow furrowed. "That's idiosyncratic."

"What?" I laughed.

Lupin smiled at me in amusement. "I mean that's odd that no one has told you. I thought you knew."

"If I did know I would have called you Remus."

"Well, I'm your godfather, Nixie," Lupin smiled.

I grinned. "Nice to know... I'm going to be bragging about this everywhere, expecially to Harry."

"Brag about what?" Lupin asked, looking so confused it was almost funny.

"I have a cool godfather. A werewolf godfather," I said proudly. "If I tell the Dursleys this then they would be scared stiff!"

Lupin shook his head and laughed. His laugh was infectious and goofy, that I soon joined him.

A cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Our party was bathed in moonlight.

Snape collided with me, Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron, who had stopped abruptly. Sirius froze. He flung out one arm to make Harry, Hermione, Bonnie, and Dani stop.

I stared at Remus. He had gone rigid. Then his limbs began to shake.

"Oh, my —" Hermione gasped. "He didn't take his potion tonight! He's not safe!"

"Run," Sirius whispered. "Run. Now."

I took a giant step back, putting as much space between me and my godfather. I glanced at Bonnie and Dani, who were paralized. Grabbing their wrists I yanked them behind me, where they both stood, watching, eyes wide.