I'm Going To Call You Snuffles

I stared at the giant, slightly terrifying dog, and it stared back. We were probably both staring at each other for completely different reasons.

I was staring at him because there was something in his light blue eyes, that were... human. Most animals had a hungered daze in them, like they were dying to chew on something. This one, however, looked at me in interest.

The dog was probably staring at me because he thought he might get a pat on the head or something.

"Hello, puppy," I cooed, reaching out to him slowly, in case he tried to bite.

The dog looked amused at being called a puppy, and he let out a bark that sounded something like a laugh. Despite myself, I was affronted.

"Would you rather be called 'mut?'" I said, raising my eyebrows at him. He stopped laughing and did a somewhat dog-like glare at me, making me snort. "Come on, boy,"

I gestured for him to come closer. He did without hesitation and climbed on the bench next to me. He sat down and stared at me, his eyes tracing every facial feature I had. I smiled when he sniffed me, and laughed.

"Now lets' see who's missing you right now," I murmured to the dog, hoping he was a stray so I could keep him. I slid my hands through his shaggy mane of fur around his neck, where the fur was more rough and thick. Though the dog needed a well groom, I didn't feel any collar there and smirked. "Looks like your a stray. That's okay, your coming with me. You need a bath, though - and your taking yourself a bath too, I don't like the smell of wet dog-"

The dog laughed at me again, his blue eyes twinkling mischievously. I felt Unicorn hiss and start to pounce on the dog, but I caught her just before she started to sink her claws into him.

"Awww," I laughed as they both glared at each other. "I didn't even name you yet and you have sibling rivalry! Oh, yeah, a name. Erm... Spike?"

The dog stared at me then looked at his fur as if to say 'does it look like I have spikes to you?' I playfully glared at him then thought on.

"Grover-"

Before I could finish the dog let out a growl that sounded strangely like a snort.

"Next time you laugh at my ideas I'm going to end up calling you Mildred!" I snapped haughtily.

He stopped immediately and bowed his head in mock shame.

"Alright, I'm going to call you Snuffles," I said happily. Liking the name as it slid through my lips with ease.

Snuffles seemed a little disgruntled at first but saw my glare and just barked in confirmation.

"Alright, Snuffles, do you know anything that could get me to the Leaky  Cauldron?" I asked uncertainly.

Snuffles nudged my pocket where my wand was and I took it out gingerly.

"But I can't do magic outside of school," I mumbled, wishing I could.

It was starting to get darker and I could hardly see Snuffles anymore. If only I had light... As soon as that thought finished, light poured from my wand. I went in sudden panic mode, and stuffed it back in my pocket, where the light blared through my faded jeans.

"Oh, Golly," I muttered, looking up at the skies, expecting to see an owl souring towards me, telling me I had been expelled from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy. I could see the letter now:

Ms. Nixie Potter,

We have been informed that you have done magic in front of a dog and a cat-

Before I could finish the imaginary letter, I heard a loud BANG. Unicorn and I jumped and stared straight ahead. There stood a big, triple decked bus, with shining headlights and golden letters glittering on the side reading: The Knight Bus.

A conductor in a purple uniform leaped out of the Knight Bus and called out to the dark night.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport to the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, hop on board, and tell us where you need to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this evening, now if you would please - AH!"

We all jumped, even Unicorn who had been staring at Snuffles for the past minute.

"What - what is that?" Stan pointed at Snuffles like he was some kind of disease, making me huff.

"He's a puppy," I said, in a somewhat indignant tone. "A trained one, too."

"Well, hop aboard, I guess," Stan muttered reproachfully.

"Looks like somebody's got some doggy issues," I sang, a playful smile on my face, making Stan grin.

"Nah, just big dogs, they're too big," Stan explained. "Hop aboard, leave those bags, I've got them, come on - move along, move along!"

I picked up Unicorn and beckoned Snuffles to come, but he was looking off into the distance to where the Dursleys home was.

"Come on, Snuffles," I said urgently, Stan already seemed unnerved enough. But Snuffles didn't glance at me as he ran around the bus and was out of sight after he ran through thick bushes. "Goodbye to you too, I guess!"

I was about to climb in the bus but then I saw Stans face and I turned to see Harry walking by with Bonnie at his heals. He looked worried while Bonnie kept on fidgeting, like running away wasn't her idea at all but she didn't want to be left with the Dursleys without him.

"What are you two doing here?" I asked abruptly. They both stopped in their tracks and whirled around to face me. When they saw the bus, their mouths fell open in shock.

"The Knight Bus," I explained, though I saw Harry's eyes slide into the bushes where Snuffles disappeared. He looked worried, and when I was about to ask what it was, he gave me the 'I'll tell you what happened later' kind of look, which I took with a nod.

"Go on, all of you," Stan said, flapping his hands like a penguin as he beckoned us to go into the bus. Well, this was going to be a long night.