Chapter 15 New leash!

Chapter 15

It was a great green snake that resembled a mega-sized king cobra. With vicious green eyes, it slowly approached Sara.

Sara was greatly terrified and she was shaking heavily, but she didn't lose her grip on the tree.

Kai shouted over to her... "Stay still, Sara! Don't worry."

His shout startled the cobra for a while as it turned its head towards him.

Kai quickly leapt from his tree to the next one. It was almost an impossible task considering the tree had no grip but he managed to cling onto it as he prepared to make the next jump, to Sara's tree. The snake hissed as it closed the distance from Sara.

"Kai please..." Tea prayed for her.

He took a giant leap, unsheathing his sword midway. He beheaded the snake inches away from Sara's petrified face.

The others heaved a sigh of relief but not for long.

Kai lost his balance and was about to fall but Sara caught his left hand at the eleventh hour.

Her grip wasn't firm though because of his weight. As her hold on his hand loosened, Kai immediately plunged his sword on the tree just below Sara and thus avoided the fall.

"That was stupid of you, Kai. You could have died." Sara blurted out with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"But I didn't die, did I? I had to save you." Kai was excessively sweating, and his heart pounded rapidly, his vision a bit hazy.

Sara had lost count of how many times he had to save her.

"Please don't ever do that again." She spoke in a soft and shaky voice.

She knew that she won't be able to forgive herself if anything happened to him because of her.

"I will always be there for you no matter what. You can't tell me what to do." Kai wasn't one to back down.

"If anything happened to you because of me..."

He didn't let her finish.

"Speak no more. Sara, do you think I'd be able to live without you? I'd rather die saving you then just stand helplessly watching to get hurt when I could have saved you."

Kai descended down the tree hurriedly. He didn't want to argue with his best friend.

Well, it was the first time he ever argued with any of his friends. He was bewildered himself at his own outburst.

The rest of them decided it best not to interfere at this moment and continued their climb.

Kai sat down on a rock as he examined his hands. Apparently, while jumping from his tree to the next he wasn't that cautious and the scales of the tree had cut his palms deeply. Blood was tricking down slowly from both his palms.

"Oh my God!" He heard Sara exclaim from behind.

Before he could turn his head, Sara immediately took his hands on her own and sat down on the ground on her knees.

"Sara..."

"Shut up!" She pouted.

Kai nodded with an apologizing look.

She tore a small portion of her skirt and took out a napkin from her pocket. She had brought some antiseptic with her.

"Look what you've done to yourself." Sara said; her voice full of concern.

"It's ok." Kai winced slightly as she bandaged his hands.

"It's not. Sorry, did it hurt?" Sara took no notice of how close they have actually become.