Episode 14

Kath: *wakes up*

DJ: *suddenly walks in* I thought you'd be hungry. *sets a cereal bowl in front of her*

Kath: Thanks. *grabs the spoon and starts eating politely*

DJ: *chuckles* You don't need to be polite.

Kath: I don't?!

DJ: *shakes his head* *laughing slightly*

Kath: *out loud* Sorry Mom. *eats fast*

DJ: *feels bad at the mention of her mom* *sits down beside her*

Kath: *confused* What?

DJ: I wanna say sorry for...yesterday.

Kath: Me too...I'm sorry I made you remember.

DJ: *shakes his head and looks at his hands* You didn't know...

Kath: *nods* *still curious about who 'SHE' was*

DJ: *plays with his fingers* The reason I do...what I do...is because...of my mom. I'm mad at her. I have been my whole life. *swallows hard*

Kath: You...don't have to tell me this, you know, it's not my business.

DJ: I want to tell you.

Kath: *looks at him*

DJ: I don't like being looked at...as a criminal...but it's what I am. My mom left when I was 4, she was going out with her two best friends and we were going to go to the park and get ice cream when she gets home... *chuckles at the memory* *clears her throat* but...she never came back...she called three days after we waited, said she wasn't coming home. She just...ditched. For her own selfishness. She decided she didn't want our family anymore.

Kath: *doesn't know what to say*

DJ: So, I got mad and when I went to school, I was a bully, I dropped out of school in tenth grade. I was just...so mad. I found my dad's pocket knife and I was fooling around with some friends....*looks at Kathryn* and someone got hurt...

Kath: *puts her cereal down* *watches him*

DJ: *swallows* After it happened...I don't know....I just....something clicked....it felt good. I felt.....different. Like a changed person. I wanted to be that way. I let my frustrations out on people. Kevin and JC were with me...joined then we met Seth and we became our own little "Gang" *uses air quotes*

Kath: ...Gang?

DJ: *nods* *looks at her* I don't like what I do.

Kath: Why do you do it if you don't like it?

DJ: Because I'm mad at the world, I guess.

Kath: I know what that's like...

DJ: *looks at her*

Kath: When I was 4, my parents would fight all the time. When I turned 5, my parents divorced and as my dad put it they would "share" me. Mom got me for 2 weeks and dad got me for 2 weeks. My dad would drink and drink and drink, says he loves me, then he would turn around and hit me.

DJ: *furrows his eyebrows*

Kath: I would blow it off when my mom asked, tell her I fell off the tree in the backyard. Then I turned 12 and Dad said he wanted nothing to do with me and I was a mistake never meant to happen. *swallows hard*

DJ: *whispers* That's...terrible.

Kath: *nods*

DJ: I don't want to be known as a criminal.

Kath: You're not a criminal...to me.

DJ: I took you, Kathryn.

Kath: *looks up at him* You were afraid.

DJ: *looks down at her*

Kath: *leans in* *whispers on his lips* if you're anybody's criminal you might as well be mine.

***********

COMMENT!! VOTE!!