Chapter 46: I'm Not Your Enemy

Ariana's blue eyes were smoldering with anger. James had never seen her like this before, and it terrified him. He immediately stepped in front of his new wife to keep her from any damage Ariana might inflict. "What is she doing here?" she snarled, repeating the same question only directing it towards James.

"Well...erm...you see..." James trailed off, looking more scared than ever as Ariana's eyes narrowed even further. She examined the girl in front of her before tugging her wand out of her pocket.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't blast you into a million pieces right now," she growled in a low voice, pointing her wand directly at the girl's heart. Her grey eyes were wide with fear, but she quickly composed herself.

"I love your brother," she said softly. Ariana cocked an eyebrow, and gestured for her to continue to try and convince her. "I left my brother because he told me to target one of your family members. I couldn't do that."

"Oh, and why not? It was just as easy for you to kill of Roxie, it wasn't hard for you to torture me," Ariana shot back. If James didn't know any better, he would have expected Ariana's eyes to burst into flames and steam to come out of her ears.

"Please, you've got to believe me," she begged, almost literally falling on her knees before Ariana, but something stopped her. It was the slight flicker in Ariana's facial expression. She had seen that enough to know that Ariana was indecisive, and possibly puting on an act. But why would she? If it were her in Ariana's position, she wouldn't have hesitated from blowering her into smithereens. Then again, she wasn't Ariana.

Ariana's eyes softened slightly as she studied the girl. "Why did you do it?" At first, her voice was so soft, that Morticia wasn't sure she had heard her properly, but it registered in her brain when Ariana continued looking at her expectantly.

"I...he...he threatened to kill you...and James. I couldn't let that happen," Morticia whispered softly, glancing at James who now lookes unsure as to whether or not there was a danger of Ariana exploding into another rage.

"But wasn't I supposed to be killed anyway?" Ariana asked, now thoroughly puzzled. "I thought I was meant to die when Same and Roxie did."

"When Sam did...yes. But I swear it wasn't me who did that," Morticia said earnestly, her eyes glimmering at the small ray of hope cast upon her by Ariana, who had lowered her wand slightly. Her eyebrows were now scrunched up together in thought, her eyes flickering as ideas raced through her mind.

Ariana slowly lowered her wand, eyeing Morticia for a moment before saying, "Just because I'm letting you live, doesn't mean we're friends. You're lucky I believe you." And with that, Ariana turned on her heel, stuffed her wand back into her pocket, and strode out of the room without a backward glance.

James sighed in relief and gave Morticia a tight hug. "Thank god," he murmured into her hair before kissing her forehead. He was still shaking and there was still that scared, cornered look glinting in his brown eyes.

"Shh, it's all right," Morticia said in a soft voice as a few tears spilled from his eyes, which, in turn, caused several to leak from her own eyelids.

"I thought she was going to kill you," James said just as quietly.

Morticia nodded and said, "I thought she was going to too. After everything I did to her, I expected no less." James smiled slightly at her before pulling out his wand and muttering a short spell that morphed her looks back to her other appearance.

Ariana exited her grandmother's house, breathing heavily. She put her hands behind her head and struggled to relax. She tried to release the anger that she still felt building up inside her. No, I can't let my emotions control me Ariana thought quietly, closing her eyes and breathing in and out slowly.