Chapter 36: It's All Coming Back

Bryce tore his gaze away from the girl's shocking blue eyes. He felt guilty and strangely depressed after telling Ariana that he had no idea who she was. The girl's eyes seemed to narrow slightly and she asked, "Who told you I hated you?"

"Uh..a girl who said her name was Ashley," he said nervously, risking a glance in her direction.

Ariana scowled furiously at the ground and tightened her jaw, "Looks like I'll have to do something about that," she muttered, not noticing the looks everyone in the room were exchanging.

"Ari...don't go all sycho raging Potter fury on her okay," Sirius said in a nervous voice. Ariana laughed slightly, the sound echoed around the Hospital Wing, making Bryce's heart jump into his throat. Why did she have this effect on him? He didn't even know who she was.

"What makes you think that I would do something like that?" Ariana asked in a seemingly innocent voice with a slight smile on her face.

"Oh, jeez, I don't know. Maybe it's because the last time you punched her in the face and broke her nose," Rose said sarcastically.

Ariana snickered and said, "You have to admit, that punch was bloody brilliant."

"Wait...you punched the blonde girl?" Bryce asked in a quiet voice.

Ariana nodded, still grinning at the memory, "Yeah, she did somethings and well...things happened."

"Okay?" Bryce said in a confused tone, not sure he really wanted to know what had happened. The whole group stayed in the Hospital Wing for several more minutes, talking to him and trying to help him remember things. And he did remember some stuff, but not everything.

Bryce could remember Jon and how they first met, and when he met the rest of them, but other than that, he was totally lost. "See you later," Ariana called, waving from the door. He smiled and waved back shyly, wondering why the Ashley girl told him that she hated him. Obviously, she didn't.

Just then, Ashley walked through the doors, glaring over her shoulder at Ariana, thought she didn't notice. "Oh...hey Ashley," Bryce said softly, not making eye contact with her.

"Hi, how are you feeling?"

"Better than I was," he answered truthfully. "Um...I have to ask you something."

Ashley glanced curiously at him, feeling slightly hopeful. "What?"

"Why did you tell me Ariana hates me? She was here practically all morning with a lot of other people and she said she didn't hate me."

Ashley paled slightly and mentally cursed the Potter girl. She always had to ruin everything. "Oh, Bryce. She was faking it. She's really sneaking like that, and she's most likely up to something," Ashley said in a convincing tone.

The boy frowned slightly, it didn't seem like that at all. Plus, Ariana had acted like she knew him really well. It didn't make any sense. "I dunno...it didn't seem like that," Bryce said, voicing his thoughts out loud.

"She can be very convincing Bryce. I would know."

He nodded absently and both looked up when the doors opened and Professor McGonagall walked in. "Hello Mr. Princeton. I assume you are feeling better."

Bryce nodded again and asked, "When can I get out of here?"

"Well...considering you are suffering from memory loss, but otherwise are perfectly healthy, I'm sure you can be discharged. I'll get some of the other Gryffindors to help you around and show you to your classes. Hopefully, that will help you recover quickly."

"Thank you, professor," Bryce said quietly. Madame Pompfrey sniffed in a disapproving way, but grudgingly allowed Bryce to leave with Ashley. "So tell me..what are the houses of Hogwarts?"