David's Last Day

It was December 15th when he came over to mine and Liza's apartment. He walked in my room and sat on my bed and gave me water and pain killers for my hangover. I had been having a lot of those since the party at the guys' house.

"Audrie, wake up. I need to tell you something." I swallowed the pills and sat up in order to get a good look at David. He smiled at me as I stared blankly at him. "What is it, David? I don't have all day." David's smile faltered a bit, but he managed to keep it on his face. "I'm leaving back to Chicago and I don't know when I'll be coming back. Apparently, it's not just going to be for the holidays. I'm going to have to stay a while longer. Couple months maybe." I sat up, wide awake now. He couldn't leave. It would be too quiet without my best friend. "You better be pranking me right now. If you leave, what am I supposed to do? You're my best friend, David." His smile fell, and for the first time since I had met him, he looked broken. "I wish I could say it was a prank, Aud, I really do. My family just needs me to come home for a little while." I nodded in understanding and hugged him.

"So I talked to Liza, and turns out you will be spending the whole day with me." I gasped excitedly and pulled away. "Really? Will we be vlogging?" He grinned and nodded and I got out of bed. "Get out, let me change." He smirked and stayed on my bed. I groaned and grabbed his arm and dragged him out of my room.

I went into my closet and picked out some high waisted black pants, a black top, and some white converse. When I had brushed my teeth and thrown my hair into a messy ponytail, I grabbed my bag and phone and smiled at David who was sat on the couch playing on his phone. "I'm ready." He looked up and flashed me his goofy grin. "Well, don't you look comfortable. It's a compliment, I swear." I rolled my eyes and laughed at his idiocy.

We drove to Target, where we bought a bunch of snacks, and bothered some of the employees who David knew personally. We were sat in his car, I was eating ice cream and David was snacking on some chips when he suddenly turned the car on. "Where are we going?" He sighed and looked at me. "I wanted to spend my last couple hours here with you because my flight leaves in an hour and a half. I need to go get all my stuff." I closed the pint and put it in the cup holder. I shifted in my seat so I was facing him. "You didn't tell me that. I thought we had the whole day." He looked at me sadly. "I didn't have the heart to say I'd be leaving in the middle of the day. Look, it's fine if you want me to drop you off. I've got to get all my stuff in this car." I shook my head at him. "No, take me to your apartment. I'll help you get your stuff and drop you off."
"You're not driving the Tesla." I pouted, but gave in. "Fine, drop me off so I can get my car."
"Actually, I was thinking I would leave the Tesla in your garage and we take your car." I shrugged and looked out the window. "Whatever you feel is best."

When we got to my building, David parked in the spot next to mine and we switched cars. As I drove to his building, I noticed he was battling himself about something. "Something on your mind?" He looked at me and smiled half heartedly. "No, don't worry about it. I'm good."
"You sure? It just seems like you're having a dilemma within yourself."
"Audrie, I promise, I'm fine. If something were wrong I would tell you."
I shook my head and continued driving. When I had parked the car, I saw Alex running toward us. "Alex, what's wrong?" Alex pushed past me and embraced David. "David, don't go." I looked as David's face expressed pain. I felt for Alex. Alex and David's friendship was something they had for a while now. "I'll be back, Alex," David swore as he hugged his best friend.
"David, I think I made a mistake." David's eyes widened and I took that as my cue to leave to the apartment.

When I got to the apartment, I let myself in and walked into David's room. All his bags were packed and his bed had been stripped of the sheets. I knew he'd come back, but even he didn't know when that would be. I grabbed two of his duffel bags and hoisted them on my shoulders. I bumped into Dom on my way out the door and he seemed pretty stoned. "Hey, Dom."
"Hey, Audrie, what up girl?"
"Nothing, just helping David get his stuff to the airport."
"You need some help?"
I laughed at his offer and helped him back into his room. "Dom, you can barely stand straight. I'm good, go to sleep."

When I had gotten to the car and put the two bags in the trunk, I saw David standing alone. "What's wrong?" He seemed startled by my presence but composed himself and walked towards me. Before I could say anything he pulled me in for a hug and kissed my head. "Thank you for everything." He whispered in my hair. I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his waist. "I didn't do anything." He pulled away and held onto my arms. "You did everything for me. And you continue to do everything." I smiled up at him and hugged him again.

After we managed to get all the bags in the car, I started it up and waited for David to give me a sign that it was time to go. While we were on the road, I thought back to his room and how it had been stripped of everything that made it his.

I pulled into the airport, stopped in front of the doors, and clutched the steering wheel tightly. I looked at David who was already looking at me. "We should go." I nodded and got out. I helped him get his stuff onto a luggage cart and watched as he double checked everything. I looked at him and sighed. "Well, I hope everything goes well with your family."
"Thanks."
I turned to get back in my car when I felt him pull my arm back causing me to turn and fall back into his embrace. "I love you."
I looked at him, bewildered.
Before I could say another word, his lips were on mine. As soon as they were there, they were gone and I watched as he pulled the cart into the airport and walked away. Away from me.

I love you, too, David.