The Hamilton Debate

A week had passed since that whole fiasco with Toddy and David and Alex. We never spoke about it after that. I never saw much of Dom or Alex anymore, and David was always asking to hang out with me. My arm wasn't completely broken anymore, but I still couldn't do a lot of strenuous activities with it.

I was parked outside David's apartment building jamming out to the Hamilton soundtrack when I heard a knock on the window. I rolled it down with the music still playing and saw David with his stupid camera pointing at me. "What are you listening to?" I continued singing and unlocked the door to let him in. "Appreciate Hamilton with me Davie-kins." David turned the camera towards him and said, "She's a weirdo. She likes musicals. Aud, do you think you'll get to be on Broadway one day?" I stopped singing and turned the music down. "No, not really. I mean, I can sing, but I don't meet the required vocal skills for that kind of life." David laughed and turned off the camera. I turned the music up again and jammed out while we drove to Chick Fil A.

"How can you stand this musical?" David asked after a few minutes of silence from him. I scoffed and responded, "Unlike some people, David, I appreciate a little bit of history and drama." He chuckled and I pulled into the drive thru. I ordered food for David, myself and everyone at the house. On our way back to the house, David turned my music down. "I was jamming to that Mr. Dobrik." He laughed and set his camera up to a point that would capture what was about to go down. "Well, Miss Koshy, I want to know why exactly do you like this musical? It's stuff you learned in history class." I shook my finger in his face as I focused on the road. "Actually, there are some elements in this musical that aren't historical at all. That's what adds the dramatic effect to the history. For example, Angelica Schuyler was already with someone when she met Alexander Hamilton. She was never in love with him, but for the sake of the love triangle with them and Eliza, Lin-Manuel wrote it in that she was a bachelorette." David hummed in response and looked at his phone.

"Did you ever think that maybe, it's just a bit too historical? Because honestly I feel like I would fall asleep watching this musical." I scoffed and turned on to a different street. "Well, if you weren't one for action and visual representation, then, yeah, it might be a bit boring for you. But I know you, David, and with the way your vlogs go, you'd like Hamilton."

David shut off his camera and burned a hole in the side of my head. "Then show me what you got, Koshy." I looked at him as I stopped at a light. I turned it up as the song changed to Guns and Ships. "Turn the camera back on and witness the amazing talents I possess." David laughed and turned the camera back on. When I knew he was recording, I started rapping Lafayette's lines and kept the straightest face I could muster as the words flowed out of my mouth like muscle memory.

When we had arrived at the house, the song was over and David began to talk to the camera. "And that, ladies and gentlemen, was Vloggers Karaoke with David and Audrie." I laughed as I got some of the food and stepped out of the car. Scotty and Zane came running out of the house with their vlog cameras out. "DAVRIE BOUGHT US FOOD!" They screamed in unison. I looked at them confused. "Davrie?" Heath came outside and said, "They're rooting for you two to become a couple. They're trying out couple names. It's between Daudrie, Davrie, and Auvid. I, personally, love Daudrie, but until they decide which one sounds better, they're gonna call you all three at different moments in time." David and I laughed and handed the guys their meals.

When I stepped inside, I saw Corinna, Alex, Dom, Todd, Gabbie and Liza sitting on the couch. When Corinna made eye contact with me, she held up a twenty dollar bill. "Dom and Alex take it. She came with David." I looked behind me to see David holding some of the meals. Alex and Dom started collecting money from everyone else and cheered as they came to greet us. Liza stood and hugged me. I hadn't seen much of her in the last couple days, and Gabbie had just gotten back from her trip out of town.

"I trust you," Liza whispered in my ear making me smile. "I don't trust him. He's very good looking, but he is not the sun." I nodded as my smile faded away. Gabbie attacked me in a hug and then hugged David who made some jokes as they hugged. "Okay, guys, I have a question for all of you!" Zane, Heath and Scotty had walked back inside and collected money from Corinna, Liza and Toddy as they sat down. "What's goin' on, baby?" Zane asked as he lazily put his elbow on my shoulder. David pressed record on his camera and set it on the tv stand. "Okay, now I'm going to have the same debate with them that I had with Audrie."

He turned to face us and asked, "How many of you, besides Audrie, have listened to the musical Hamilton and like it?" Several hands went up and David rubbed his face as he laughed. "Why?"
"Well, it's pretty informative and it puts actual history teachers to shame," Heath said.
"I just love the fact that it's a rap, and most of the songs are catchy as hell," Scotty chuckled making most of us agree with him.
"I got used to it because Scott would sometimes blast it. Even Kristen gets annoyed by it," Toddy said. Scott glared at him and they started fighting about whether or not Kristen liked the musical.

David finally cut them off saying, "Well, regardless of who may or may not like the musical, I still don't understand the way anyone could like something that they spent twelve years teaching us in a classroom." I rolled my eyes and Zane said, "Baby, Hamilton is one of the few masterpieces anyone has been able to come up with for a long time. And that's saying something, because that musical came out in 2016." I grinned over at David who was trying to contain his laughter.

After a few more minutes of talking and arguing about Hamilton being a great musical and eating, I decided that I was going to leave and take a nap at home. I waved at everyone as I got in my car and drove home.