Chapter Thirty

The doctors kept me for two more days, running tests and making sure that none of my stitches would tear out. While they encouraged me to walk, I don't think they'd expected me to want to spend most of the day wandering the halls, or shuffling around the small garden within the building. But bedrest had filled me with energy. After having worked on the ranch all summer, I was used to moving constantly every day, from before the sun rose to after it had disappeared over the horizon. Confined in the hospital, my only comfort was knowing that it was only a little while longer before I got to see Arion again.

Just as he had said, Dune hardly ever let me out of his sight. When I woke up in the morning, he was already awake, sipping a coffee from a paper cup and holding a tea for me. The first time I showered, he followed me into the bathroom, turning his back while I changed, then perching on the counter while I hopped under the warm water. For every step I took in my little hospital slippers I'd been given, Dune's boot was beside it. Down to the kitchen for a meal, around the corridor biding my time, or out to the garden to catch a little sunshine, he tagged along like an old farm dog. And when I laid down at night to go to bed, he would wait until he thought I was asleep before showering and laying down on the couch. Of course, I faked it for the most part. The earlier I could trick him, the more rest he could get.

On the morning of the third day, the nurse caught me before I left my room. "If you'll stay here a moment," She explained, "The doctor will see you for one last check, and then you'll be heading home." She shared my wide smile. "I know you're more than ready to leave."
I nodded, glancing at Dune. "We both are."

She nodded again. "We were able to salvage a few of your belongings. I'll bring them." With that, she left, her shoes clicking down the hallway.

Dune gently took my hand, and we began a thumb war. "You've been very quiet," He murmured.

I laughed, my thumb just keeping from getting pinned. "Really? I thought I was talking your ear off yesterday."

He chuckled, and I took the opportunity to clamp his thumb down. He easily pulled out from under it. "I meant at night." He must have seen me open my mouth, because he cut me off. "Before you even try, you do snore. I meant with your dreams."

I smiled, eyes focused on our epic battle. Our thumbs kept parrying, and I was having fun taking chances of losing, sliding my thumb under his, but pulling away before he could slam it down. "I haven't had any nightmares," I admitted. "Actually, when I was unconscious, I think I fixed it."

As I told him about the last dream I'd had, he listened attentively. In the midst of my story, he managed to capture my thumb. However, he relaxed his hold, stroking it tenderly until I finished speaking. "Interesting," He mused.

I nodded. "I think confronting her, and confronting the truth for myself, helped me realize that I can move on."

As the nurse entered, carrying my boots and a small tray of items, Dune smiled. "I hope so. Next, we can work on your snoring."

*

When we pulled into the yard, everyone who wasn't out riding swarmed the truck. Joe opened my door for me, letting everyone cheers and shouting be heard. "I think they missed you," He half-yelled to be heard above the crowd. I laughed, wrapping my arms around his neck. He murmured against my shoulder, "Welcome home, Rylie."

Dune shouldered his way through the mass, and together, we walked toward the bunkhouse. Anyone who I came to patted my back, or clapped my shoulder, or just stretched their hand out for shaking. Everyone had a smile on their face. Butch, in particular, had tears in his eyes as he pulled me in for a hug. "We missed ya, Klintson," He blubbered.