Chapter Twenty Six

That night, I stayed in Dune's room, and the smell of his cologne was enough to get me through the night. When I awoke, however, I immediately missed the feel of his strong body against mine, and my heart ached for him. As I went through the motions of getting ready for the day, I yearned for the evening, when I could be wrapped in his arms again.

I placed the saddle on Arion's back, making sure it was in the right spot before letting the girth and back cinch drape down his side. As I walked around his rump to the other side, I glanced across Sadie's back. "So what's the plan for today?"

He glanced up from threading the cinch. "Apparently, we let a few of the sale calves go with the herd. It's not our fault, because the person in charge of the gates didn't lock it. But since that person was Ronnie, and he can do no wrong, we have to go back out and get them."

I turned back to my own saddle, automatically wrapping the cinch like I'd been taught. My mind turned over the facts. "That doesn't make any sense," I mused. "Because that would have been the day of the Ball. We were all double checking everything to make sure that everything was good to go. Even Boss checked the gates."

"I know," Joe replied. "But I guess this morning, Ronnie walked out to that pen, and the gate was wide open. He told Boss, and since our crew from yesterday took the herd, he thinks one of us may have bumped it."

I shook my head as I reached for the back cinch. "That doesn't sound right, either. We drove the cattle away from that gate; none of us were near it. Besides, someone should have noticed the missing cattle yesterday"

As I turned to grab my bridle, Joe stepped in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I know, Rylie," He said, his voice low, "I don't trust it. I've got a bad feeling about today." I lowered his head a little more, almost whispering his words. "This has Ronnie written all over it. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to pull something out there."

I paled. "He's coming with us?"
He nodded. "He's gotta take Snipe's place. So I want you to keep your head on a swivel. Don't let him out of your sight, for anything." He blinked,as if remembering something, then pulled away a little. "And watch out for the bull, too. He's a little unpredictable the first few days after they go back out to pasture." With that, he turned to finish saddling Sadie.

I grabbed my own bridle, then quickly turned back to Arion. As he took the bit in his mouth, I watched Joe walk Sadie out to join the others. "Hope you don't mind the extra weight, boy," I chuckled as I patted his neck. "Because a rock just grew in my gut, and I think it's gonna be there for a while."

*

I joined Joe, Zane, Hasty, Mitchell, Simon, Butch, and Ronnie, and we rode out to the herd. While they usually bed down for the night, their time being contained in the pens had made them stir crazy, and they instead ventured under the stars. It was more than a few hours before we found them, nestled in the trees of the foothills. Even then, they all stood as we approached, and began ambling away.

We pulled up twenty yards away. "Weed out the young ones quick," Ronnie commanded, Buzz wheeling under him. "The sooner we get done, the sooner we all get back." He spurred his mount toward the front of the herd, causing a few cows to shy away.

Butch scowled. "Of course he wants this done quick. He wants to ge back and hide the rest of the day."

Next to me, Zane pushed back his hat. "Does anyone see the bull?"

Mitchell and Simon shook their heads. "He's probably on the perimeter," Hasty replied. "He's going to be more than protective after being away from the ladies." He began to walk away, heading in the opposite direction of Ronnie. "Joe, you're with me; Butch, follow Ronnie. The rest of you, pair up. We got nineteen calves to find."