Chapter Nine

Another month passed, and the true heat of summer began to heat up the land, replacing the spring pastels with bright hues as everything thrived. By now, the workers had adapted to my presence, and often would ask me to help out with a chore or two. Ronnie kept his distance, as did the drunken hand, who I found out was named Leroy. All for the better. He was beginning to show up in my nightmares, smirking with Seth as I was tortured into watching family members die. Even though it was a normal part of my routine, the lack of peaceful sleep was beginning to drag me down in the evenings.

Arion snorted beneath me as I asked him to join the group of men nearby. Boss had finally allowed me to go on a drive, taking a herd of angus from the west pasture to the south, where they could graze for a few months at a time. I was more than excited, but I kept my cool as I joined the crew.

An older man was giving everyone their positions, and nodded to me as I approached. "Alright, here's how this'll work. Butch and Hasty, you two are going to be to the right of the herd, with Butch at the rear. Zane and I will take care of the left. Zane, you'll be toward the front. This group is over a hundred head, and I need you to keep them in line."

As the rest of the crew nodded, Joe sat up. "What about Rylie and I, Snipe?"

Snipe turned to us. "You two are going to head the pack. You, Missy," He said with a smile, "Will learn the ropes. Joe knows the route we'll take, and leading the group is a good way to learn the dynamics. Your job, in addition to learning, is to make sure no cattle begin to slip around you." He nodded to Arion. "Your horse has cow sense; he'll do most of the work. Learn from him, too."

"Right, sir."

He smiled a little more, his eyes crinkling. "Just Snipe, Rylie." Then his head swiveled to take in the group. "Alright, let's go!"

With that, we took off at a brisk trot out of the yard. As we passed the East barn, Dune was standing in the doorway, and waved to us .I was nervous that he wouldn't be with us today, because I was used to the security I felt around him. But Joe was here, and that made me relax in the saddle.

It wasn't long before we topped a small rise and found the herd. It sprawled out like a black stain on the pasture, heat sizzling off their backs as they lowed to each other. A few calves bounded with each other, weaving in between their lumbering parents like slaloms. Off to the side was a small patch of cattle, and a lone angus stood to the north.

Snipe pointed to the single figure. "That is the bull," he said. "He is part of the reason I want you driving today. He stays toward the back of the herd, and can be a little nasty if you don't keep an eye on him. Foreman saw to that."

I nodded, feeling Arion become more alert as the herd drew closer. He lowered his head a little, and his movements became more fluid.

"He remembers," Joe commented. "It's been a long time since he's seen the cattle. He'll take care of you."

"Alright, team, let's go." With that, Snip whistled a high, short note, and dug his heels into his horse. They lept forward, rounding toward the west end by way of the north. Zane followed him, while Butch and Hasty galloped toward the south. Joe nodded at me, and we loped straight toward the herd, keeping our pace easy. When we got close enough, we pulled up.

"Don't turn your back yet,"Joe shouted over the now alert cattle. "If they charge, let Arion get you out of the way."

But I didn't think Arion had any intention of running from the cattle. His head was low, and he kept his ears pricked toward the dark mass that was shifting nervously as the hands gathered the rear end. His legs were slightly splayed.

Then, one brave cow started to charge him. I tensed, waiting for him to spook to the side. Instead, he snaked his head and dove towards her, head low and ears back. She skidded to a halt, her floppy ears swiveling. Arion, bared his teeth, and lunged forward, sending her back into the herd as I pulled up his reins to stop. "Whoa, boy, whoa." I spun him away, keeping an eye on the herd while I kept him busy.