Chapter Twenty Nine

The first thing I heard was muted voices passing by. Then the footsteps, clicking past my resting place down what sounded like a hallway. I wanted to see where I was. So I slowly opened my eyes.

A picture window to my right showed a blue sky dotted with clouds. White ceiling tiles, off-white walls. A door, solid looking with a metal door latch, labeled as the bathroom. A painting of swans on a lake hung next to another closed door.

As I let my eyes take in the room, I stopped. I was propped up into a half-sitting position, my legs stretched out in front of me under white sheets. My arms were at my sides, and it was these that I had noticed. One was wrapped with a plastic medical bracelet. The other held a needle, a slim tube running from the back of my hand to a bag hanging next to the bed. There was also a heart monitor on the rack, where the peaks rhythmically appeared on the screen.

I heard a sigh to my left, so I let my head roll across the pillow toward the sound, curious. My breath caught. Resting next to my hip was a familiar head of brown hair, a tanned hand reaching toward me across the blanket. His body was slumped in a chair pulled to the bedside. His back rose and fell slowly, giving away his slumber.

Smiling, I timidly moved my free hand until my fingers wrapped around his. Instantly, he gripped it, shuffling his body in sleep as he muttered. I held back a snicker. But the tightening of my chest awoke a sharp pain under my ribcage, and I hissed, biting back a moan.

"Hmm?" Groggily, Dune raised his head, blinking at his hand. When he noticed mine, he snapped his eyes to my own, and they widened with disbelief. "Rylie," he whispered. He stood up so fast he tipped the chair back onto its back legs, rearing like a spooked horse. He cupped my face in one hand as he leaned over me. "You're awake."

I nodded. "Yeah. I guess I am."

He searched my face with his eyes. "Are you in any pain? Do I need to call in a nurse? Do I need to take you to the bathroom?"

I managed one bark of laughter before I gripped my ribs. "I'm fine," I gasped. "Just don't make me laugh." As he sat back down, I raised the blanket, then peeked through my hospital gown. Bandages wrapped around my torso just under my breasts. "Dune, what happened?" I whispered.

He stilled, and I glanced over to find him staring at the linens of the bed. "You took the bullet," He replied, his hushed tone unable to hide his pain. "You jumped in front of me, you took the bullet. It happened so fast..." He swallowed, and I squeezed his hand. With a sigh, he continued. "When Ronnie saw what he'd done, he lost it. He started sobbing. Before I could stop him...he turned the gun on himself."

I squeezed my eyes shut. Despite everything he had done, I never wanted Ronnie dead. His drinking had finally gotten the better of him, and while I wouldn't have to fear him anymore, it was bittersweet.

"Everyone had heard the first shot," Dune continued, "So the other hands got there right after. Joe and I carried you to the truck, and Boss followed." He gazed around the room. "We've been here ever since."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "We?"

He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye. "You and I. Most of the hands were here the first night, but after you stabilized, Boss sent them home. I wouldn't leave your side."

First night..."How long have I been out?"

"Four days."

My heart melted, and I tugged him up to me again. "You stayed here for four days?"

Dune blushed, cupping my face again. "I won't leave you, now or ever."

I wrinkled my nose. "Well, I hope you do soon. 'Cause you reek."