Chapter Twenty Three

As the night went on, and the dances alternated from jigs and reels to waltzes and ballads, Dune and I became more comfortable as dance partners. Once or twice, another hand would ask to dance with me, and I would oblige, letting them awkwardly spin me around the floor once or twice. At one point, Joe whisked me around, Grace taking Dune's hand. The exchange was more than hilarious from my view, as Grace tried to teach my partner a few tricks. When he tried to spin her, It looked like a penguin with a ballerina. Joe and I laughed so hard that we had to stop dancing to catch our breath.

Finally, after the clock's hands had met at the top and began to travel back around, I began to feel my eyelids drooping. We were swaying to The Tennessee Waltz, Samuel drawing his bow slowly across the strings as the melody drowsily traveled across our gathering. Ronnie and his date had never reappeared, and more than once, I noticed Boss frowning as he scanned the crowd, no doubt looking for his foreman. However, none of us minded, and everyone was having a good time.

I rested my head on Dune's chest, smiling when he wrapped his arms a little tighter around my waist. I turned up my head to find him gazing at me, a comical smirk on his face. "Is someone tired?" He asked.

I nodded, a soft smile on my lips. "I'm going to have to turn in soon."

He nodded, glancing around the crowd. "If you want, we can head out now. I just don't know where Joe went..."

I stopped him with a hand on his chest, remembering Grace doing the same with Joe. "It's okay. You stay here and have fun. I'm just tired."

He smirked. "I know," He replied. "But-"

About that time, Boss and Kora walked up to us. "I must say, Ms. Klintson," he beamed, shaking my hand, "You have been a shining gem in my crown tonight. Both of you," He added, nodding at my date. "Before you leave tonight, Dune, may I speak with you?"

Casting a glance my direction, Dune nodded before following Boss back through the crowd. Kora smiled at me. "Don't worry," She said, as if sensing my apprehension about the sudden discussion. "It's nothing bad." She laughed as I stifled a yawn. "You look tired."

I nodded. "I am. Is it okay if I return this to you tomorrow?"

"Of course. Have a good night." With that, she moved off toward another woman, presumably another ranch owner's wife. Smiling, I wove through the crowd toward the door.

Outside it was quiet, the full moon casting a beautiful spotlight on the silent yard. I picked up my skirts as I headed down the steps, not wanting any dust to gather on the delicate lace. The peaceful hush over the otherwise bustling yard made me pause, and I stood in the center, gazing up at the moon. I felt almost magical in that moment, in my beautiful cream dress standing below a curtain of stars.

A soft whicker from the barn caught my attention, and I turned to the sound, recognizing the low timbre. Smiling, I walked into the barn, flicking on the lights before stepping down the aisle. A few other horses stirred, poking their noses over the door, but I kept my eyes on Arion's blue head, peeking over his door, ears pricked toward me. "Hey, boy," I whispered as I approached, letting him smell my hand before scratching his large jaw. I gently let my dress brush the ground, then cupped his head in both hands and placed a kiss on the whirl of fur on his forehead. He sighed, and I giggled at him.

"That's an image."

Arion pulled his head out of my hands, pricking his ears toward his dad as Dune made his way toward us. He had his jacket slung over one shoulder, holding the collar with one hand as his other brushed his hair out of his eyes. He rubbed his knuckles against Arion's neck before turning to me. There was an emotion in his eyes I didn't understand. "I bet...I bet Adrian would have loved to paint that: you standing with the horse in your dress."