Chapter Sixteen

*Trigger warning; an assault scene is ahead. Proceed with caution* 

Arion snorted as I entered his stall, the afternoon rays shining through his window throwing him into shadow. "Hey, boy," I murmured, running my hand down his nose before slipping his halter over his head. "Sorry I haven't taken you out lately. I can't work cattle with this leg." I led him out to the ring on the wall, then quickly groomed him before running for his saddle. "How about we go for a quick jog now?"

As if in reply, he snorted, nodding. I knew that Dune had been taking him out each morning to exercise him, but I was itching to be on the roan's back once again. Besides, with the holiday, everyone was inside for supper. I had finished early, and slipped out without anyone's notice. I had about an hour and a half to ride before it would be dark enough to light the fireworks Boss had bought. When I'd questioned him about the flares and booms spooking the cattle, he'd replied that they'd been moved to the west pasture, which was the farthest from the Big House. In addition, the rock outcroppings there would shield them from the lights, and for an extra precaution, we would fire off all of the fireworks to the east, in the opposite direction.

I led Arion out of the barn quietly, then I gingerly stepped into the stirrup. While my leg protested, it wasn't enough to stop me, and I pulled myself up quickly to ease the pressure. Arion pawed the ground, eager to get moving, but he stood in one place until I squeezed him gently with my heels.

We trotted toward the south pasture gate, where he again stood quietly while I opened and closed the gate from his back, stepping through and pivoting as I asked. Then, once we were locked inside, I let him loose.

With a powerful surge, Arion launched himself into a gallop, his slender neck stretching to its full length. He carried me over the open grasses, seemingly flying. I clung to his mane, my eyes watering from the wind as I urged him on. The dull pain that seemed ever present in my leg was whisked away by my adrenaline rush, and I whooped with laughter as his muscular body carried us effortlessly toward the foothills.

I pulled him up as we entered the trees, and let him walk toward the small creek. I was surprised that his neck was only slightly lathered. As we approached the water, he pulled against the reins. I laughed as I gave him his head. "Alright, boy," I chuckled. "Go ahead and have a drink."

As Arion dipped his nose into the water, I noted how deeply the sun had dipped in the sky. If we took it easy on our way back, I could have him groomed and in his stall just as the first fireworks went off.

Suddenly, Arion raised his head, sending drops of water everywhere. He was stock still, ears perked in the direction we had come. I almost asked him what he'd heard, when a series of branches snapped.

Not waiting any longer, I urged Arion across the creek and deeper into the trees, making sure to avoid any low hanging branches. In my head, I plotted out a route that would circle us around until we were out in the open grass again, then we would hightail it back to the barn. I wasn't sure what it was that had been near the creek, but the rock that had settled in my gut told me that it wasn't good. I urged Arion into a lope.

We were just nearing the treeline when something plowed into us from the side. Arion screamed, his body twisting against the force of the attacker. I scrambled to keep my hold, but the hit from side had sent me off balance, and I was only able to hold for a moment before my legs lost their hold, then my hands. I landed on my back, and the wind was knocked out of me.

As I struggled to get my breath back, Arion continued to bugle, his angry call letting me know that he was fighting whatever had ran into us. I heard another, answering challenge, and while the horse's neigh sounded familiar, my rattled brain couldn't place it.